Is a multi-amp setup more trouble than it's worth?

Shinequwa

• Members

I have a couple of combo amps that I love when I blend the sounds of both amps together. It's not for stereo purposes at all. It's great in practice and rehearsal, but I'm wondering if I'm just asking for frustration and problems if I employ this setup when playing live. Any advice and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

The only downside is having to move the extra gear. The other thing that can be difficult is miking both amps. It may take a little longer to get the sound you want coming out FOH. Just depands on the situation. I used to run 2 combos several years ago. I loved the tone and wall of sound, but grew tired of hauling 2 amps. I say go for it and see how it works out.

• Members

The only downside is having to move the extra gear. The other thing that can be difficult is miking both amps. It may take a little longer to get the sound you want coming out FOH. Just depands on the situation. I used to run 2 combos several years ago. I loved the tone and wall of sound, but grew tired of hauling 2 amps. I say go for it and see how it works out.

+1

If you're just playing on a small stage.. yeah, it's not really worth the extra hassle.

but if you DO have the extra space and hands to help you out with it all then by all meanss go go go ahead.

• Members

You are at the soundman's mercy in terms of blending, micing, and EQing them properly. I do this occasionally, and really there are only 2 soundmen out of dozens that do it correctly with my gear and the rest don't want to listen to my advise and instructions.

• Members

You are at the soundman's mercy in terms of blending, micing, and EQing them properly. I do this occasionally, and really there are only 2 soundmen out of dozens that do it correctly with my gear and the rest don't want to listen to my advise and instructions.

That is exactly what I'm afraid of.

• Members

If its two combo amps I might say its a little more trouble.
My main rig is a case with two heads, running in stereo through one cab.
I play shows with this rig, but I also carry 2 senn 609 mics to make sure they are both miked the way I want.
We only play with our own soundguy, so thats not an issue, but if and when we do have problems, then I will just use one head and leave the other off.
Two combo might be a little more work but it depends on your situation.
If its doable then do it!
There is nothing as full as two heads set properly as your main tone..

• Members

If its two combo amps I might say its a little more trouble.

My main rig is a case with two heads, running in stereo through one cab.

I play shows with this rig, but I also carry 2 senn 609 mics to make sure they are both miked the way I want.

We only play with our own soundguy, so thats not an issue, but if and when we do have problems, then I will just use one head and leave the other off.

Two combo might be a little more work but it depends on your situation.

If its doable then do it!

There is nothing as full as two heads set properly as your main tone..

I'm wondering what would the difference be between two combo amps and two heads into one cabinet. If you are using two mics and two heads, wouldn't it essentially be the same as to combo amps with two mics?

• Members

I'm wondering what would the difference be between two combo amps and two heads into one cabinet. If you are using two mics and two heads, wouldn't it essentially be the same as to combo amps with two mics?

i was thinking the same thing

• Members

I'm looking for a small mixer with LED level meters for each channel so that I can do my own sub-mix before it gets to the FOH. That way it don't matter so much if the "sound"man is a dillweed. It will be mono but, most FOH systems are mono anyway. I'm not really after stereo but, rather just to blend multiple amps together.

Also, I take 2 amps to a gig anyway. One for back up so,its not like I'm carrying a lot of extra stuff. Just extra mic, stand, cable, and the small mixer.

• Members
I have a couple of combo amps that I love when I blend the sounds of both amps together. It's not for stereo purposes at all. It's great in practice and rehearsal, but I'm wondering if I'm just asking for frustration and problems if I employ this setup when playing live. Any advice and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

It can be a pain, if you're dealing with 3 or 4 combos, each needing their own mic, because of sound man issues, as previously mentioned-- BUT IF your amp switcher allows for each amp to be run through the same speaker cabinet, then all you have to do is make sure your volumes are even when switching from amp to amp, and the sound man only has to deal with one mic, like he would any other single amp setup. ;)

• Members

No, it'd be 2 heads and one cabinet and only 1 mic.

• Members
It can be a pain, if you're dealing with 3 or 4 combos, each needing their own mic, because of sound man issues, as previously mentioned-- BUT IF your amp switcher allows for each amp to be run through the same speaker cabinet, then all you have to do is make sure your volumes are even when switching from amp to amp, and the sound man only has to deal with one mic, like he would any other single amp setup.
;)

any suggestions on a switcher like that other that the Headbone?

• Members

I think combos the only real issue is soundman, space, and back. All of the same issues of any other way you make your setup larger.

If I ran two amps at once, I may considering bringing my own mic stands and mics and maybe a small, decent, 2 channel mixer. This way I control the level and blend between my amps and the sound man just has to run one wire to the mixer output so it's the same work for him essentially. Not sure how practical that is, but it's something I'd consider. Then again, I'd also consider gigging with a plexi glass shield in front of my amps like those drum shields so that i can keep stage volume low from the amp.

• Members

I think combos the only real issue is soundman, space, and back. All of the same issues of any other way you make your setup larger.

If I ran two amps at once, I may considering bringing my own mic stands and mics and maybe a small, decent, 2 channel mixer. This way I control the level and blend between my amps and the sound man just has to run one wire to the mixer output so it's the same work for him essentially. Not sure how practical that is, but it's something I'd consider. Then again, I'd also consider gigging with a plexi glass shield in front of my amps like those drum shields so that i can keep stage volume low from the amp.

ALL Fantastic suggestions

• Members

Sorry, Yea your right, but let me explain a little more.
I dont think it would be really any different sound wise, but room that it takes up, and hauling two different amps means more stuff, thats what I meant by a little more trouble. That and the time it takes to set everything up from scratch as well. But like I said, you might have a system like I have found that shaves alot of time and set up off the equation.

I roll in just two boxes, both are live ins.
A/B is mounted in the amp case, and already plugged in. Speaker cables for both are also in the back of the amp case, so for me, its take off the faces, plug everything in, and Im running in minutes.
cdrelease_013.jpg

I also run another set up with a boogie and a soldano, and over the years Ive found that sometimes two amps can be a pain in the ass, but if you set it up so its a fast and easy set up, then you win as two amps together give a wall of sound thats all win.

• Members

No, it'd be 2 heads and one cabinet and only 1 mic.

I prefer two mics as I split the cab. Now normally, when I run my big rig, I will run two cabs in cases, but like telephant already said, room for everything is an issue.

So I use two heads, run both at the same time, and cut the cab stereo so one side is the marshall, the other the krank.

So it has to be two mics for me.

• Members

If I ran two amps at once, I may considering bringing my own mic stands and mics .

Thats what I basically do, I went to the senn 609 mics, so that I can have them hang over the cab on the grill getting rid of the stands. I usually leave them in the cab in place, with the cables in the back, just ready to plug in.

Ive got kind of a system after dealing with so many hassles on the road.

And like I mentioned the band that I play with now doesnt play without our soundman who is a freekin pro so that also makes my life easier.

When we dont have him there, which has never happened, then I will run just one head and leave the other for a back up...

• Members

I prefer two mics as I split the cab. Now normally, when I run my big rig, I will run two cabs in cases, but like telephant already said, room for everything is an issue.

So I use two heads, run both at the same time, and cut the cab stereo so one side is the marshall, the other the krank.

So it has to be two mics for me.

I understand the preference. I use 3 mics for my big rig because it's a W/D/W rig, unless I am just running it stereo, then I only use 2. As was suggested earlier, I may implement a couple of mic pre's, into a mixer and just sending a feed to the house.

Room is definitely a consideration, for me too- when I select the rig I'm taking to a gig. :thu:

• Members
The one I use is a Custom Audio Electronics Switcher. Unfortunately NOT cheap.

You can see a pic of it on the bottom of the rack here:

NAMMpics022.jpg

CAEcroppedpedaltray2.jpg

Here is a link to the info/specs:

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/amp_selectors.htm

The CAE is sweet no doubt, Ive though about using one in my studio for faster tone changes during recording between the multiple amps.
How many amps will that one take, and will it run them at the same time?
Also how does the mobile aspect work out with the cables, do you have to unplug to move or does the cover fit over the top?

• Members

Room is definitely a consideration, for me too- when I select the rig I'm taking to a gig.
:thu:

I hear ya!
Man if it was up to me, I would run four heads and four cabs, but then my band would kill me...
This is some of my amp room...
Each head gets 2- 12s....Killer wall of sound....
But no way practical..:lol:
Picture_269.jpg

• Members

The CAE is sweet no doubt, Ive though about using one in my studio for faster tone changes during recording between the multiple amps.

How many amps will that one take, and will it run them at the same time?

Also how does the mobile aspect work out with the cables, do you have to unplug to move or does the cover fit over the top?

This one allows for up to 4 amps, but they are one at a time, as the load levels to one cabinet feature.

I have a labeled snake, for the amp Inputs, and speaker outs from the amps to the switcher, and Speaker cabinets to the switcher. I undo them and redo them, instead of leaving them plugged in. Total setup time including: Connecting Amps to AC Power, Connecting snake to amps, Cabinets to the rack, connecting foot pedal to Rack interface-is under 5 minutes.

The snake to the foot controller gets undone from the rack interface and coiled up and stored in the case with the foot controller. (I don't undo the cable connections on the foot controller side.

EDIT:

Mesa/Boogie used to (NOT sure if they still make it) make an amp switcher that did up to 4 amps, that you could combine or run individually, BUT... it didn't allow for the middle DRY load, so each amp would have to be run on load like with a hot plate and used in a mono or stereo configuration only, middle DRY wasn't possible, unless each amp had it's own cabinet (load) and mic.

Archived