A Bassman pedal as a clean-boost?

petejt

• Members

If you're referring to the Boss pedal with the Fender Bassman name on it, avoid at all costs. Those pedals are garbage.

Micro Amp is a good little boost, I used one for a while. I personally like having a boost with a level and a gain control, so I would get something like a HAO Rust Booster or Barber Launch Pad if you're looking for a cheaper clean boost that is still very high quality.

• Members

If you're referring to the Boss pedal with the Fender Bassman name on it, avoid at all costs. Those pedals are garbage.

:(

I was hoping to get a Bassman-sounding pedal to use as a clean-booster, for more tonal character, rather than just a generic overdrive pedal.

Pity.

• Members

The individual COSM pedals are just really trashy, man. I wouldn't mess with it. If you're looking for a boost with character, they make them. You could get something like a germanium fuzz with a bias control, roll the bias and the fuzz back to where you're only getting some light, BARELY overdriven clean sounds unless you slam the strings really hard, and hit the volume all the way up. Boom, harmonically rich, non-neutral boost that'll sound good into nearly any amp you've got.

Careful, though - a lot of Fuzz Face clones barely get to unity gain. My Aramat Mojo Fuzz hits unity at about 2'oclock, everything above that's boost. Great pedal, and not much more expensive than a plain old Fuzz Face from Dunlop. There are others, though.

• Members

Thanks guys. I think I am finally convinced now not to go with the Bassman pedal and stay right away from COSM. I suppose I was hoping it'd be like a mini JTM45 or something.

I'll take all your suggestions into account. I definitely need educating in this particular subject.

And talking about Fuzz, although I used to hate it, I admit now I am starting to like it a bit. I'll go try some out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Whatever I want, I DON'T want it to sound like a POD! I've had my fill of Line6 in the past already!

• Members

like a mini JTM45 or something.

ZVex Box Of Rock. It's supposed to be JTM45 in pedal form, or a rough approximation thereof. While I don't know how accurately it accomplishes that, it's a fine pedal, and might be worth looking into as an OD with some character to it.

Archived