Whats the verdict on the H&K PureTone?

renier

• Members

hey people,

i just sold my Crate VC212 and am looking into buying another amp. i stumbled across a second hand H&K PureTone head from the H&K Custom line: 25 watts, 2 x EL34, 1 channel, no controls except volume, BMT and a control called "growl" that supposedly lets you bypass the tone controls. new price in my country: around 2000 euro. the seller asks 750.

so, what about this amp? what can i compare it with? is it any good? what speakers would go well with it? etc...

thanks guys!

• Members

It's a great amp!

It's basically H&K's take on a Dumble clone but with it's own flavor and those distinctive H&K mids and more balls (no doubt from the EL34s). I believe it's class A if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong.

It's very dynamic and it's quite loud for it's size. It is not a high gain amp, however. I only played it in a showroom so I can't tell you how it would handle pedals, though I expect it takes them just fine.

-W

• Members

The Pure Tone was not my thing. It sounded pretty good though. For the price I would look elsewhere. Hell you could save up another couple of hundered bucks and score a Duotone in the low $1000's. The Duo is way more versatile and a killer amp to boot.

• Members

never mind. i see everyone is to busy posting bull{censored} topics about baboons to answer a question seriously. carry on gentlemen, i'll take this somewhere else.

whats with all the hatin'on the 'boons:confused:

• Members

that's more like it!

thanks guys, please accept my apologies. i guess i'm a little short tempered today...must be the lack of a decent amp in my house. this damn SS-amp is getting on my nerves pretty bad.

Archived