So Thrice's Vol. III and IV of the Alchemy Index already came out?

Angry Grimace

• Members

+1

Ironically enough, though, when I talked to Dustin after seeing them in April, he told me he felt like AITA was their most forced album. He went on to say that if they had been given the same amount of time that they were given to write Vheissu, AITA would have been a lot different and the change would have been a lot smoother from AITA to Vheissu.

That's sorta why I feel they're very deliberate. AITA was very much structured strong, tight, compact packages and Vheissu to me basically sounded like they had a bit more time to mess with song structures and overdubs and cool sounds.

• Members

That's sorta why I feel they're very deliberate. AITA was very much structured strong, tight, compact packages and Vheissu to me basically sounded like they had a bit more time to mess with song structures and overdubs and cool sounds.

Yeah, I hear ya.

Don't get me wrong, AITA is one of my favorite albums of all time, but it really isn't anything incredibly special or unique amongst Thrice's peers and contemporaries. With that said, it is still a great album for what it is; just a straight up hardcore album.

• Members

Yeah, I hear ya.

Don't get me wrong, AITA is one of my favorite albums of all time, but it really isn't anything incredibly special or unique amongst Thrice's peers and contemporaries. With that said, it is still a great album for what it is; just a straight up hardcore album.

Well I disagree about it not being unique amongst their peers. They were better sounding, better constructed, catchier, and smarter than anything other people who came from the punk direction were doing at the time. They got smarter when a lot of bands were getting dumber and they did so while honing what made them popular to begin with and bringing that to the forefront as opposed to losing what made them good like a lot of contemporaries.

• Members

i liked Illusion of Safety thru Vheissu. i didn't like vols 1-2 of the Alchemy Index... Not terribly memorable. If you're going to split it up into 2 CDs, then make it worth my while instead of just 30 minute discs, ya ken?

• Members

Well I disagree about it not being unique amongst their peers. They were better sounding, better constructed, catchier, and smarter than anything other people who came from the punk direction were doing at the time. They got smarter when a lot of bands were getting dumber and they did so while honing what made them popular to begin with and bringing that to the forefront as opposed to losing what made them good like a lot of contemporaries.

Yeah, I think you put it a bit better. They're a lot better than their contemporaries, but they didn't do a whole lot of new things.

• Members

Yeah, I think you put it a bit better. They're a lot better than their contemporaries, but they didn't do a whole lot of new things.

Yeah I guess my feeling is that TAITA basically made everyone trying to do that thing that had been floating around the idea say, "Oh {censored}, they just pulled it off," and from that point there was kind of nowhere to go. It both captured a lot of what everyone was trying to do for a couple of years and epitomized the entire genre at once. Sorta took the whole thing, made sense of it, and effectively closed the door on it.

• Members
I like all 4 discs, but III and IV had at least 2-3 filler tracks that were potentially awesome songs they decided to not expand.

Oh-- and Thrice has always sounded very deliberate to me. Firebreather was fine-- I don't really care that much for super heavy stuff and I don't find it super memorable, but it was fine. I think Water was genius though. Easily the best of the four discs.

:thu:

Archived