Has anyone here made a shred style guitar with Warmoth parts?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I'm thinking about using Warmoth to build a guitar.... I'm just wondering about the playability of their necks. Very good quality fret work? If you get one with a flat radius and jumbo frets, is the playability comparable to superstrats like Jackson/ESP/Ibanez?

If I were to get a guitar from them, I'd want to get a mahogany soloist style body routed for HSH pickups and a Schaller floyd & Ibanez wizard style neck.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the big square heel. I'd rather it be contoured and slimmed down like the Ibanez AANJ heel...

Seriously considering it though. I've heard Warmoth stuff is great... just haven't heard much about their stuff related to a shred style guitars...

I wish Carvin made 6 strings with 25.5" scale... if they did I'd take one of those heh

• Members

I have a Warmoth Strat and it's great. It all depends on who puts it together and how well you know what you want. They can build just about anything. On the other hand if an Ibanez guitar is what you want then maybe listening to a few prestige Ibanez would be a better bet. A guitar already put together will show you it's sound, on the other hand, a parts guitar is a little bit of a gamble. It might sound great or it can sound pretty bad... You won't know until it's assembled!

• Members

I work at Warmoth, making necks there, so maybe I'm a bit biased. But I think the necks are really good quality. The Wizard profile is definitely very thin, but still comfortable.

That being said, I agree with what was posted above, if you want all of the features of an Ibanez, just get that. The Warmoth stuff is great if you want something specific, like a certain tonewood combo for the neck, or a special pickup combination, etc...

• Members

I have a Warmoth guitar that I built with parts they sent me. The neck is wonderful, I should have gone a grade thinner but even at this thickness it's very smooth, no complaints here. it's probably 90% as good as my Jackson USA XD

• Members

I work at Warmoth, making necks there, so maybe I'm a bit biased. But I think the necks are really good quality. The Wizard profile is definitely very thin, but still comfortable.

That being said, I agree with what was posted above, if you want all of the features of an Ibanez, just get that. The Warmoth stuff is great if you want something specific, like a certain tonewood combo for the neck, or a special pickup combination, etc...

well that's the thing, what I want isn't relaly available from Ibanez.

I want a mahogany body, 24 frets, HSH pickup config, a double locking tremolo, and for the body to look how I'd like it to. I was going to go with the new 24 fret ibanez S that just came out, but I ordered one (and returned it) and played a few and there is a sustain problem with them linked to their new ZR2 tremolo and it bothered me too much to use one... Plus, I don't like the ZR trems as much as a knife edge trem.... and I don't really like the body style of RG's (and most of them are basswood anyways... only a few mahogany).

If I were to go with a Warmoth guitar, I would want a mahogany soloist body with HSH pickup config, a schaller floyd rose, and a maple Ibanez wizard profile neck with the Warmoth PRS-ish headstock. If that was put together and the playability was as good as a nice superstrat, I would be very happy.

I've heard that you can have them assemble a guitar for you if you pay for it. Is that true? And how much does it cost? I don't know of any luthiers around here that could do a good job putting it together.

• Members

The ones I assembled for people as a tech had great fretwork, inlays, and finishing. They advise you to have a final level and recrown done, though(at least back then).

The "Wizard" is more like the newer "Prestige Wizard" and less like the Ultra-thin Original Wizard. It's tiny, just not insanely thin. :lol:

• Members

The ones I assembled for people as a tech had great fretwork, inlays, and finishing. They advise you to have a final level and recrown done, though(at least back then).

The "Wizard" is more like the newer "Prestige Wizard" and less like the Ultra-thin Original Wizard. It's tiny, just not insanely thin.
:lol:

That's fine with me. I could even deal with a little thicker than the prestige wizard necks. I have big hands. I just want it comfortable for me. I wasn't sure if their "wizard" neck or their "standard thin" neck would be better... I was just saying the wizard neck because I'm used to playing ibanez guitars

• Members

That's fine with me. I could even deal with a little thicker than the prestige wizard necks. I have big hands. I just want it comfortable for me. I wasn't sure if their "wizard" neck or their "standard thin" neck would be better... I was just saying the wizard neck because I'm used to playing ibanez guitars

Their Wizard is probably pretty close to the S series you just had. The Standard thin is closer to a Jackson neck, IIRC.

I always wanted to make a Warmoth shredder strat, but now I refuse to buy another strat-shaped guitar. :lol:

• Members

Their Wizard is probably pretty close to the S series you just had. The Standard thin is closer to a Jackson neck, IIRC.

I always wanted to make a Warmoth shredder strat, but now I refuse to buy another strat-shaped guitar.

I see you live in Florida. Do you think if I ordered the parts and couldn't find someone to assemble it for me that you could do it? If so, how much would you charge?

• Members

I see you live in Florida. Do you think if I ordered the parts and couldn't find someone to assemble it for me that you could do it? If so, how much would you charge?

Heh, I would refer you to Guitar Factory over in Orlando, as I don't really do tech work anymore. There are a couple other techs in our area, I can ask around for you if you need help finding someone. Don't have the tools anymore, or a bench for that matter. :lol:

• Members

Heh, I would refer you to Guitar Factory over in Orlando, as I don't really do tech work anymore. There are a couple other techs in our area, I can ask around for you if you need help finding someone. Don't have the tools anymore, or a bench for that matter.

Cool, do you have any idea how much guitar factory would charge to put it together? just assembly. I can do the finishing myself

• Members

Cool, do you have any idea how much guitar factory would charge to put it together? just assembly. I can do the finishing myself

No clue. :confused: I think we used to charge about $100, but that was 4 years ago and my mind is blurry.

• Members

I've heard that you can have them assemble a guitar for you if you pay for it. Is that true? And how much does it cost? I don't know of any luthiers around here that could do a good job putting it together.

I don't think so. I've never seen anyone at the shop assembling a guitar or bass, except the occasional play test mounting of necks.

• Members

I don't think so. I've never seen anyone at the shop assembling a guitar or bass, except the occasional play test mounting of necks.

Yeah, I found out they don't, and I've already changed my mind after noticing that they don't make 24 fret necks. They do 24 fret extensions.... but i don't want an extension. it wouldn't be playable and it gets rid of the neck pickup on their bodies. pointless.I might use one of their bodies though.

• Members

Yeah, I found out they don't, and I've already changed my mind after noticing that they don't make 24 fret necks. They do 24 fret extensions.... but i don't want an extension. it wouldn't be playable and it gets rid of the neck pickup on their bodies. pointless.I might use one of their bodies though.

you might want to send the sales staff an email. I know that in the recent past they've built 7/8 size bodies with the routing changed to accommodate a 24 fret (non extension) neck. Here's a pic of an example:

Picture001.jpg

• Members

I built something along those lines and it plays great except I have some issues with fretting out around the 17th fret on the high E but I think a fret level would fix that. The only thing I would have done differently is put on bigger frets, I find the 6150 ones that I got are a lot smaller than I would like, but I'm thinking about pulling them soon and refretting with 6100.

P1020569.jpg

P1020568-1.jpg

• Members

well that's the thing, what I want isn't relaly available from Ibanez.

I want a mahogany body, 24 frets, HSH pickup config, a double locking tremolo, and for the body to look how I'd like it to. I was going to go with the new 24 fret ibanez S that just came out, but I ordered one (and returned it) and played a few and there is a sustain problem with them linked to their new ZR2 tremolo and it bothered me too much to use one... Plus, I don't like the ZR trems as much as a knife edge trem.... and I don't really like the body style of RG's (and most of them are basswood anyways... only a few mahogany).

If I were to go with a Warmoth guitar, I would want a mahogany soloist body with HSH pickup config, a schaller floyd rose, and a maple Ibanez wizard profile neck with the Warmoth PRS-ish headstock. If that was put together and the playability was as good as a nice superstrat, I would be very happy.

What evidence do you have that Ibz S ZR trems have a 'sustain problem'? I have an S2170SE that definately had a 'sustain problem' but I cured it by ditching the bridge pickup. I'm definately an OFR guy, but I think the ZR trem is a superior design.

I have several Warmoth necks, and a Soloist body. Warmoth stuff is very nice. Esp. in the sense that you can get something exactly how you want it. Resale sucks, but I never sell crap anyway. Fretwork is about as good as you can expect, for a neck that is not on a guitar, without a setup. All my necks, get tossed on bodies regularly, and with a few twists of a truss wrench, usually play as well as anything else I have.

The heel is a different story altogether. The Ibz joint is awesome. My Warmoth, without the 'heel contour' is annoying as hell.

• Members

I built something along those lines and it plays great except I have some issues with fretting out around the 17th fret on the high E but I think a fret level would fix that. The only thing I would have done differently is put on bigger frets, I find the 6150 ones that I got are a lot smaller than I would like, but I'm thinking about pulling them soon and refretting with 6100.

P1020569.jpg

P1020568-1.jpg

Wow! that looks fantastic, how difficult was it to put the guitar together?

• Members

it's not that they don't offer 24 fret necks...they just use an extended fretboard on a 22 fret neck. basically, the neck pocket isn't as deep. FWIW, i've never seen a 24 fret guitar that wasn't neck through where the fretboard WASN'T and extension, it's just that on the standard warmoth neck, the extension is longer. this is because they are based on the strat neck pocket if i understand correctly.

• Members

Thats whats a pain in the ass about jacksons. Neither warmoth or allparts or any high end maker makes 24 fretters for them. I just went through getting a neck for my dkmg, had to buy a used dinky neck of the bay. Its either that or get a budget one and spend the bling on a fretjob, comes out to about the same price.

• Members

P1020569.jpg

P1020568-1.jpg

That is one classy broad. I normally hate flamed, or figured tops, but that thing is beautiful.

• Members

I love the warmoth stuff..I have a bunch from them..

(interesting to find out that we have someone who works for

them in here.)...

Warmoth gear rocks !!!

I have a 1 piece ash body im doing with a Maple/Maple neck..

all vintage strat..nice wood !!!! :)

• Members

noob question but, could one buy a body off warmoth and put a 24 fret jackson neck on it since the jackson neck is a 24 fret neck, not a 22 fret neck with a two fret extension OR...am i a dumbass who completely misunderstood the difference (ie...their the same thing)

Archived