Organ speakers as guitar speakers

De-bone-air

• Members

Hello!!

I've found that vintage organ speakers make damm good guitar speakers.

With the price of Cobolt for Alnico speakers going through the roof lately, it's not unusual now days to see $200 speakers (new...each).

1950s & 60s Alnico organ speakers from ROLA, Heppner, CTS, Cleveland , and others can often be bought on e-bay for the price of a single CD.

A 12" NOS 1956 Quincy (Quincy, Ill. made) speaker....a dead ringer looks and sound-wise for a Jensen P12N....cost me $22, including shipping.

With the price of everything going up....they are no-brainer bargains IMO.

Anyone else use recycled organ speakers in their rig?

Steve :thu:

• Members

i would think that they would be closer to hifi speakers in that they'd have a lot more room to drive them before going into distorting. that said-- a lot of guys like that-- but not necessarily in alnicos, which people seem to buy precisely because they'll drive 'out of the gap'.. giving them a good portion of the mojo people attribute to alnico guit speakers.

• Members

I think that dynamically the organ speaker should work, but the guitar is of course mid frequency based, organ speakers will be more like baby PA speakers that should handle a full frequency range, I am sure that the old manufacturing processes used back then may contribute to some degree of speaker coloration, but I would guess that if the sound suites your ears and taste, then what does the peanut gallery add. Good luck and I may look into the organ speakers myself

Archived