Does attenuating a loud tube amp still make it sound and feel like a tube amp?

heavyoverdrive

• Members

I was thinking about the Marshall JCM 800 (50 watt version) and how the tone would be crazy, but only in a band setting. Now seeing how I play guitar at home a lot, at bedroom levels, do attenuators really do the trick-as in decrease the volume of the amp but still have the same tone and feel?

I don't want a JCM 800 attenuated at bedroom levels sounding like a solid state amp. So basically, does attenuating a tube amp still make it sound like a tube amp? I have no experience with attenuators and would also want to make sure, does using one void the warranty? I came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SUCK-KNOB-VOLUME-CONTROL-FOR-MARSHALL-JCM-800-900_W0QQitemZ160244916602QQihZ006QQcategoryZ41422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I was thinking about the Marshall JCM 800 (50 watt version) and how the tone would be crazy, but only in a band setting. Now seeing how I play guitar at home a lot, at bedroom levels, do attenuators really do the trick-as in decrease the volume of the amp but still have the same tone and feel?

I don't want a JCM 800 attenuated at bedroom levels sounding like a solid state amp. So basically, does attenuating a tube amp still make it sound like a tube amp? I have no experience with attenuators and would also want to make sure, does using one void the warranty? I came across this:

That is NOT the same as an attenuator at all fyi. Its just another mastervolume to put in your FX loop.

• Members

I don't want a JCM 800 attenuated at bedroom levels sounding like a solid state amp. So basically, does attenuating a tube amp still make it sound like a tube amp? I have no experience with attenuators and would also want to make sure, does using one void the warranty? I came across this:

all that is a volume control in a box and doesn't do at all the same as a attenuator.

attenuator go between the amp and speakers not in the loop between the pre and power sections.

Archived