My rack is ( nearly ) complete!

mparsons

• Members

It's complete! Finally!

Well, all the main components... I still need to order a new case, another cable, another speaker cable, and I'll be set. After that, I'll need to re-wire my speaker cabinet in stereo, program my MIDI board, and I'll have my "perfect" rig.

What I'm running:

Furman power conditioner

ENGL E530 preamp

Rocktron Xpression effects unit

VHT 2/90/2 power amp

Some sweet vented rack panels for extra t0an

We'll see how long it lasts :lol So far I am LOVING the tone I am getting, and the effects are great on the Xpression.

Anyway, on to the pics!

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack4.jpg

rack5.jpg

Here you can see how I've tried to separate the power and signal cables...

rack6.jpg

rack7.jpg

For you rack gurus, how does the wiring look?

I'll be running it wet/dry, with the effects and dry tone both going into my Avatar cabinet. I'm going to rewire it so that its a cross pattern of effects and dry signal. That way I'll hopefully get an even blend of effects and stuff.

• Members
I'm still confused as to why you were so desperate to replace a 2150 with a 2902.
:confused:

The 2/90/2 had 95% of the sound, has more features, is 2U smaller and 20lbs lighter. The 2150 just wasn't a big enough improvement to keep it.

• Members

Looks good! What kinds of effects are you using? What are the benefits of running wet/dry into the same cab vs. utilizing the parallel effects loop and adjusting the amount of wet signal that way?

• Members

Looks good! What kinds of effects are you using? What are the benefits of running wet/dry into the same cab vs. utilizing the parallel effects loop and adjusting the amount of wet signal that way?

I find that having 100% wet speakers and 100% dry speakers works a lot better than trying to combine them. Especially for delays. Plus -- and it is very slight -- the Xpression colors the tone very slightly in the presence region, and having a totally dry signal all the time means I don't have to deal with it.

Plus, if the Rocktron ever fails, I won't be screwed mid-gig, as I'll only lose the processed signal.

• Members
Haha, I see what you mean when you said our rack planning was similar! Looks really nice, let me know how it sounds!
:thu:

It sounds awesome. I just racked it all up in an 8u rack I had laying around, to see how long of a cable I needed to get to go from the Xpression to the 2/90/2.

Now when I get my floorboard, new case, cab wired up... THEN I'll be in tonal heaven. Though I do wish I could trade my Avatar for a 412 with a stereo switch.

• Members
Just enough room for a rack tuner and a 2 space rack drawer.
;)

Your not done yet. :poke:

I'm getting a 6U rack to replace the 8U :o

So its either X2 Wireless or ISP Decimator... but those are extras that I don't need and can't afford right now :o

• Members
I'm getting a 6U rack to replace the 8U
:o

So its either X2 Wireless or ISP Decimator... but those are extras that I don't need and can't afford right now
:o

make sure its shock-mounted :poke:
OSP makes sweet racks!!

• Members

I don't think I need a shock mount. My 2/90/2 was mailed to me in a non-shock road case, without any other packaging, and it arrived completely fine. I can't imagine that I would handle my gear any worse than UPS...

• Members

why would you need a decimator, unless your setup is noisy?

Its a little noisy at high gain. And I got to demo Ansley's ProRack G and it was AWESOME. Dead silent unless he was playing, didn't interfere with cleans at all, didn't cut out natural feedback.

• Members
Its a little noisy at high gain. And I got to demo Ansley's ProRack G and it was AWESOME. Dead silent unless he was playing, didn't interfere with cleans at all, didn't cut out natural feedback.

sounds cool.:thu:

I've yet to try a noise gate that didn't piss me the hell off.

I have my stuff operating pretty quietly ATM though.

• Members

have you played with the hush in the xpression much yet? also, with regard to it coloring your tone, are you using the analog dry path?

• Members

have you played with the hush in the xpression much yet? also, with regard to it coloring your tone, are you using the analog dry path?

If you use dry analog path it doesn't let the HUSH work. I've been working on getting it set up, but that was before when it wasn't racked up and all the cabling was next to power wires. Now that I've got it separated there isn't a lot of noise.

• Members

I am in Debby Downer mode today:

What I love about racks: When they are officially finished the user realizes they are too heavy/complicated/troublesome and "slightly lacking somewhere" to keep.

I give you 4 months before you get rid of everything.

Every time I finish a rack, the mesa boogie mkV comes out and it just happens to be the same price as my rack gear combined.

• Members

I am in Debby Downer mode today:

What I love about racks: When they are officially finished the user realizes they are too heavy/complicated/troublesome and "slightly lacking somewhere" to keep.

I give you 4 months before you get rid of everything.

Every time I finish a rack, the mesa boogie mkV comes out and it just happens to be the same price as my rack gear combined.

In order to get the tone I'd want, I'd probably have to get an ENGL Savage 120. That's $1600 used. Then I'd need a delay pedal and a flanger pedal for my lead and clean tones, respectively, add another $150 used. Plus the Z-5 footswitch to control the Savage, $150.

We're at $1900, and I have to tap-dance pedals.

OR... we have my rack set up, which sounds awesome and the effects are very convenient. Plus, all said and done, the rack has only cost me $1500.

I know what I want, and this is it. Sorry your experiences haven't been as pleasant!

Archived