NAD!!! : : ENGL CONTENT :D

kinggeoff

• Members

So I finally bit the bullet and nabbed the Fireball I was looking at :evil:

Pitted it up against the 5150. And Here are my thoughts so far...

The 5150 has a great growl that the Fireball can NOT in anyway replicate. It just doesnt have that classic low mid rumble that I have come to love :cry: the 5150 definitely holds its own against the Engl. It also seems to sound much more natural and organic to my ears, which can be a great thing...if that's what you're looking for. I love that sound...but I wanted a cold calculating mean-as-mother-{censored} metal bastid amp :poke:

englfireball1ym9.jpg

The Engl definitely delivers on this front. This thing can get SO DAMN MEAN. The presence control has gone from my worst enemy (5150) to my best friend! (Fireball) It's more of an aggression control that can add so much bite...enough to go over the top and into icepick territory. Good to know it has that kind of range. It also has BEAUTIFUL cleans. They are more bell like than the VHT but not as robust or punchy (i hate that word...but it's true in this case) I am having so much fun with the compression in this thing...it's so easy to play after coming from the UL. I would be worried about it ruining my playing except that the UL still gets more play time. :p I always end up back there.:love:

I think the Engl and I will get along juuuust fine. It can do things the 5150 cant, and the 5150 can do things the engl cant...but voicing wise, it seems to me like the Engl is on one metal extreme (it does only metal) where the 5150 is a little less on the metal extreme (a little less compressed and more organic to my ears), and the VHT covers the rest of the metal spectrum (less saturated) and right into rock and more with the right pickups, boost options, and playing style

Here's a quick clip showing the cleans and teh dirrrrt

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/91-ENGL_FIREBALL_CLEANTODIRTY.mp3

(http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1598)

:):)

• Members
5150 is leavin on wed
:cry:

It's all good dude. You made the right choice.

Every now and then I miss my 5150, which I sold to my other guitarist in my band BTW, and I plug into it for like 3-4 mins and never look back. 5150 is a great amp but it's just not on the same level as other amps such as your beastly VHT and even the Fireball that you now own. You won't regret it dude. Trust me. :thu:

• Members
It's all good dude. You made the right choice.

Every now and then I miss my 5150, which I sold to my other guitarist in my band BTW, and I plug into it for like 3-4 mins and never look back. 5150 is a great amp but it's just not on the same level as other amps such as your beastly VHT and even the Fireball that you now own. You won't regret it dude. Trust me.
:thu:

i think you're right :love: you seem to be one step ahead :o

luckily i have till wed so see her off all proper like ;) She will be missed as she was my main amp for a good 4 years, brought me through the grossness of numetal and through the immasculating "scene/emo(not the real emo)/screamo" thing :mad:

It's time to come home. The Engl seems to do exactly what I wanted, and has a little more finesse than the growl of the 5150

...gotta change my sig

• Members
Congrats

Thx dudes! I'm still stoked! Sitting at work is a pain when you have a new toy at home.

The shfifty will always have a place in my heart, luckily they're cheap and abundant, so nabbing another one later won't be an issue :love: The one that's leaving has some history as it has been used in tours by bands like silverstein, which was neat to have...but for the time being, the end the fireball wins for what i want. I'm still bandless atm so I'm not concerned about cutting in a mix right now, and I think that the UL and the Engl will play very nicely together in a marriage of hi-fi sounding high gainers (will check that out tonight :love:) Eventually tho, I'd like to get my hands on a savage or SE EL34 :love: daaaamn

In other news tho, anyone know of any good preamp tube combinations for this bad boy? Any tricks I should be aware of?

• Members

The Fireball is a madly diverse amp. Ive owned mine for almost a year hand have been trying all sorts of combinations to get different tones from Plexi style grit, JCM800 tones, and stupid crazy ,over the top, feedback inducing ,gainiac rage, type tones.

As of late my favorite way to run it is with a TS9->NS2->fireball with the gain on 2 or 3. I can get a nice growl out of it when the depth button is on and boost in to lead territory with the ts9 engaged.

Welcome to the FB club man.

• Members
The Fireball is a madly diverse amp. Ive owned mine for almost a year hand have been trying all sorts of combinations to get different tones from Plexi style grit, JCM800 tones, and stupid crazy ,over the top, feedback inducing ,gainiac rage, type tones.

As of late my favorite way to run it is with a TS9->NS2->fireball with the gain on 2 or 3. I can get a nice growl out of it when the depth button is on and boost in to lead territory with the ts9 engaged.

Welcome to the FB club man.

Thanks man, I've been meaning to mess around with boosting this puppy, like you I loves me some versatility at my feet, so a boost and an EQ in front for different boost colours is in order! It'll be nice to get a good rhythm/lead switch out of the one dirt channel by means of boost :) turn this sucker into a make shift 3 channel (or more with more boosts/possible preamps added) :love:

any preamp tube suggestions guys?

• Members

ENGL's seem to love ECC83 labeled tubes for some reason :idk:

JJ ECC83's and Ruby ECC83's sounded bad ass in my Blackmore I used to have. Gave the amp more bite.

Chinese tubes are always great to use as well. They seem to smooth out the tone no matter what amp you put them in.

• Members
Thanks man, I've been meaning to mess around with boosting this puppy, like you I loves me some versatility at my feet, so a boost and an EQ in front for different boost colours is in order! It'll be nice to get a good rhythm/lead switch out of the one dirt channel by means of boost
:)
turn this sucker into a make shift 3 channel (or more with more boosts/possible preamps added)
:love:

Damn straight. You can make a 1 channel amp bring the {censored} if you spend time with it!

I don't even consider anything other than TungSol 12AX7's. Ive hated everything else..a close second were TAD's (Chinese 9th Gen's)

Powertubes...well there wasn't much of a difference for me as far as 6L6s go...ive been running some 5881's for a little bit but My favorite way to run it is with some YellowJackets with New Stock Mullard EL84's

• Members

Damn straight. You can make a 1 channel amp bring the {censored} if you spend time with it!

I don't even consider anything other than TungSol 12AX7's. Ive hated everything else..a close second were TAD's (Chinese 9th Gen's)

Powertubes...well there wasn't much of a difference for me as far as 6L6s go...ive been running some 5881's for a little bit but My favorite way to run it is with some YellowJackets with New Stock Mullard EL84's

hmm 84s might not be a bad idea... since there are only 2 tubes it's a fairly cheap affair :love: great ideas sir! ty!

• Members

That's awesome, man! Is the 5150 that similar to the Fireball? I know I can get myself a used 5150 for about 700-800 USD or so, but I'm not sure if I want to be spending more for the fireball? Errr. lol.

Well, I can get the fireball head for 1,100 new, so I don't know if I should bite the bullet.

• Members

That's awesome, man! Is the 5150 that similar to the Fireball? I know I can get myself a used 5150 for about 700-800 USD or so, but I'm not sure if I want to be spending more for the fireball? Errr. lol.

Well, I can get the fireball head for 1,100 new, so I don't know if I should bite the bullet.

5150 is definitely similar to the fireball. they both scream some mean metal. If you like the 5150 tone and bite but want a more refined, hi-fi kind of sound, that's what I'd say the fireball is

Archived