So, I think I want to play 7 strings from now on...

JoshuaLogan

• Members

A few of you know how I've been borrowing a beater esp ltd from a friend while figuring out my new guitar issue... well, I've gotten so damn used to playing it that I don't see the point in going back to a 6 string. I really like the 7. But I don't know what to get.

I'm really interested in the Carvin DC747, but I'm not sure about the licensed floyd they use on them... and I'm considering maybe getting a 7 string Ibanez and then having someone make me a mahogany S body for it to replace the basswood rg body (I like the S guitars better)...

I don't know though. Have any of you played the DC747 with the licensed floyd? How is it?

• Members
i dislike most of the carvins i've played, but 7-strings ftw
:thu:

What didn't you like about it? I've never actually played one. They just look appealing, but I need a trem, and apparently they only use some licensed floyd on their 7 strings... the OFR is only on their 6 strings.

• Members

A few of you know how I've been borrowing a beater esp ltd from a friend while figuring out my new guitar issue... well, I've gotten so damn used to playing it that I don't see the point in going back to a 6 string. I really like the 7. But I don't know what to get.

I'm really interested in the Carvin DC747, but I'm not sure about the licensed floyd they use on them... and I'm considering maybe getting a 7 string Ibanez and then having someone make me a mahogany S body for it to replace the basswood rg body (I like the S guitars better)...

I don't know though. Have any of you played the DC747 with the licensed floyd? How is it?

I like my DC747 better then my RG7CST if that's any indication.

I had my doubts about the trem before I got it, but after owning it for a few years, I can say that it's a great trem. No tuning issues and it handles abuse well. I'm no Vai but I do the occasional dive and flutter and there's no problems.

It's a great choice for a guitar.

-W

• Members

Buy my schecter for $200! Spend all the rest of your money on hookers and blow. Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no offense, but I really dislike schecter guitars. they always feel cheap and look like plastic. I used to have a C1 Classic but got rid of it pretty quickly...

• Members

I like my DC747 better then my RG7CST if that's any indication.

I had my doubts about the trem before I got it, but after owning it for a few years, I can say that it's a great trem. No tuning issues and it handles abuse well. I'm no Vai but I do the occasional dive and flutter and there's no problems.

It's a great choice for a guitar.

-W

Hmmm. Is the neck gigantic on them? The ltd 7 string I've been playing is pretty comfortable... and I noticed the neck thickness on it is about the same as my friend's gibson SG

• Members

What didn't you like about it? I've never actually played one. They just look appealing, but I need a trem, and apparently they only use some licensed floyd on their 7 strings... the OFR is only on their 6 strings.

neck shape, mainly....but i also hate the rounded-off body edges that look like they would slide right off your legs when playing while sitting down and make it look like a toy or something. also, they use non-standard-sized 7-string pickups, and you'd have to do a little bit of routing/dremeling to switch them out for anything else.

• Members

I don't blame you, I rarely play my 6'ers anymore.
I've got a DC727 and it's my main guitar now (after a year of owning it).
I dropped an OFR bridge in and it's way better than the licensed trem, but the licensed trem is "OK". Also the stock pickups suck in the Carvin 7's,
I've got Bareknuckles in mine (Nailbomb/ColdSweat)
Sweet playing guitar. the neck is somewhere between an Ibby neck and a Schecter neck, real comfy to play.
DSCN1522.jpg

• Members

Hmmm. Is the neck gigantic on them? The ltd 7 string I've been playing is pretty comfortable... and I noticed the neck thickness on it is about the same as my friend's gibson SG

The neck is about the same as the RG7cst, which is about the same as an oldschool universe. It's not shredder thin, it's very comfortable.

-W

• Members
I don't blame you, I rarely play my 6'ers anymore.

I've got a DC727 and it's my main guitar now (after a year of owning it).

I dropped an OFR bridge in and it's way better than the licensed trem, but the licensed trem is "OK". Also the stock pickups suck in the Carvin 7's,

I've got Bareknuckles in mine (Nailbomb/ColdSweat)

Sweet playing guitar. the neck is somewhere between an Ibby neck and a Schecter neck, real comfy to play.

DSCN1522.jpg

that guitar is beautiful. I have a bareknuckle set right now (HSH ceramic warpig/trilogy suite single/alnico warpig), but 6 string. they've been waiting around to be installed but now I want to switch to 7 strings. I emailed Tim to see if I could send them back to get the 7 string version instead. I'm hoping he says yes... otherwise I'm going to have to sell them and reorder a new set and lose money.

and yeah, I've just gotten used to the 7 string. it's not uncomfortable to me and I've adjusted to having to mute the lower string and everything... so I could easily play with someone using a 6 string, but still have the extra low string for my own stuff I want to do... might as well just stop playing 6 strings. I don't see the point now that I've gotten used to the 7...

• Members

I like schecters. I used to never even think about getting one and one day I went to buy a new guitar. I tried out about 50 guitars that day at different locations. My thing was to get a guitar that I wouldn't have to get fretwork on and I wouldn't have to change pickups and of course that had the looks I wanted. I originally was going to get one of the RGT's neck thru ibanez's but I could already tell as with every ibanez it'll need fretwork and it came with those crappy ibanez inf pickups. The schecter c-1 exotic sounded amazing through the 6505 which is what I was testing these guitars with because thats the amp i was using at the time. The pickups sounded better than my emg's and it's hard to go back to them now. The neck was smooth I could barely feel the strings and I didn't need any fretwork. I've heard tons of people talk about how well schecter takes care of their guitars. I'm suprised to hear other wise although im sure there are some that don't feel as well. I'm going for the Schecter c-1 hellraiser 7 string in White. I just wish they had one just like it with super rock 2 pickups in it instead of emg's.

• Members

I have two friends with 747s. One is pretty unreliable due to the bridge but the other one is pretty solid. Dropping in an OFR would be a good idea if you get one. The necks aren't Ibanez thin but they are really thin and flat, I found them pretty comfortable

• Members

I have two friends with 747s. One is pretty unreliable due to the bridge but the other one is pretty solid. Dropping in an OFR would be a good idea if you get one. The necks aren't Ibanez thin but they are really thin and flat, I found them pretty comfortable

Hmmm. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the neck would bother me at all, but i'm not sure about the bridge. hopefully it isn't too much work to have someone put in an OFR.

• Members

oh, kmanick, how much work had to be done to put the bareknuckles in? did you have to do extra routing?

You don't have to do any routing to replace the pickups in the Carvin.

You may have to grind down the baseplates on the pickups. I've put about 5 different DiMarzio's in my carvin. All required grinding the baseplates with a dremel. It takes about 5 minutes per pickup. No modifications to the guitar were necessary.

-W

• Members

I like schecters. I used to never even think about getting one and one day I went to buy a new guitar. I tried out about 50 guitars that day at different locations. My thing was to get a guitar that I wouldn't have to get fretwork on and I wouldn't have to change pickups and of course that had the looks I wanted. I originally was going to get one of the RGT's neck thru ibanez's but I could already tell as with every ibanez it'll need fretwork and it came with those crappy ibanez inf pickups. The schecter c-1 exotic sounded amazing through the 6505 which is what I was testing these guitars with because thats the amp i was using at the time. The pickups sounded better than my emg's and it's hard to go back to them now. The neck was smooth I could barely feel the strings and I didn't need any fretwork. I've heard tons of people talk about how well schecter takes care of their guitars. I'm suprised to hear other wise although im sure there are some that don't feel as well. I'm going for the Schecter c-1 hellraiser 7 string in White. I just wish they had one just like it with super rock 2 pickups in it instead of emg's.

yeah, they play easily. i just don't like them overall. they feel cheap to me, and I don't like the plastic looks... same goes for LTD's... I'd never buy an LTD. I'm just using this one because I was borrowing it so I had something to play on while inbetween switching guitars so I'd stay in practice.

• Members

I got one a month or 2 ago also, and have been enjoying it more than I expected. Thats all I have been playing...

After I have been dissin' them for years, after having one around 2001 I never used for years....

Archived