So, I think I want to play 7 strings from now on...

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I'm pretty sure it'll drop right in without modification

No, an OFR into a Carvin requires some work. I had my tech grind down the actual trem so he wouldn't ruin the beautiful top that's on mine.

The high E side (bar side) is shorter on the licensed trem than it is on the OFR.

It's not major work but you should be aware that you need to either dremel the bridge or the route to get it in there.

Also the neck radius is different on the Carvin neck than it is on the floyd.

I had my tech shim the saddles on my OFR to match the radius of the neck and it feels great.

I actually tried on OFR last year and yanked it because it just didn't "Feel right".

Someone over on the 7 string forum alerted me to the radius issue (he put one in his Carvin) and this time I addressed it and now it feels great.

As much as I love my Carvin I'm actually picking up an Ibanez 7620 this weekend as I used to have one and sold it to help fund my Rectoverb head. Now I have the chance to grab another one locally so I'm going to, I like them but I can't play one for too long as the skinny neck bothers my wrist, but they are really shreddable and easy playing 7's, and it's a different sound from my Carvin so I can mix them together when I record.

I agree with BigFatPaulWall, that the JP-7 is one of the best if not the best playing 7 out there, but I'm not going to pay over two grand for a basswood bolt on guitar just because it's got Petrucci's name attached to it.

I'd love to have one but they are seriously way overpriced.

Archived