Is there a more often mangled riff than the delay intro to "Welcome to the Jungle"?

Angry Grimace

• Members

Just try and search Youtube for someone that's not Slash playing it right...even then, you'll find lots of examples of Slash playing it wrong (the man did do a lot of heroin).

Even if you don't have a delay pedal, you can sort of fake your way through it, but for some reason, most people can't seem to get a feel for playing the delayed B flat at all. Still one of the most fun songs to jam to though; killer song.

• Members
I never look bad playing that part because I never play it.

So, what's up with you today? You seem, i don't know...angry.
:lol:

I like that riff. People just don't ever seem to get the timing right. But it's odd, cause I never found it overly difficult to fake without a delay.

• Members

Just try and search Youtube for someone that's not Slash playing it right...even then, you'll find lots of examples of Slash playing it wrong (the man did do a lot of heroin).

Even if you don't have a delay pedal, you can sort of fake your way through it, but for some reason, most people can't seem to get a feel for playing the delayed B flat at all. Still one of the most fun songs to jam to though; killer song.

Yeah...you're right. Back in the day I prided myself on playing {censored} note for note when I was in cover bands...and honestly I never came anywhere close on the intro. On the other hand, I could have given a {censored} about that song anyway. I didn't own a delay back then so I had to play it fingerpicked using the open B string I think (I don't remember...is the opening in B? E?). But yeah...I've seen a lot of cover bands and never once have seen anyone play that intro even remotely close.

I've seen GNR twice...they're {censored}ing horrible anyway.

• Members
Yeah...you're right. Back in the day I prided myself on playing {censored} note for note when I was in cover bands...and honestly I never came anywhere close on the intro. On the other hand, I could have given a {censored} about that song anyway. I didn't own a delay back then so I had to play it fingerpicked using the open B string I think (I don't remember...is the opening in B? E?). But yeah...I've seen a lot of cover bands and never once have seen anyone play that intro even remotely close.

I've seen GNR twice...they're {censored}ing horrible anyway.

You're horrible. GnR was awesome. :cop:

Seriously though, I was watching a really high quality bootleg the other day that was fantastic. Everybody was on point and even Axel sounded good. :eek:

On another note, apparantly my new chick bass player used to date Dizzy Reed. :lol:

• Members

The answer to your question is most certainly yes. Enter Sandman and any Metallica actually, Stairway to Heaven, Smells like teen spirit (not that the original was particularly good). Probably Crazy Train, Iron Man, and a lot of Bon Jovi tunes too.

• Members
eb--------------------------------

Bb--------------------------------

Gb---4----2-----------------------

Db------------4-----2-----0-------

Ab-----------------------------2--

Eb--------------------------------

amirite or am I
:freak:

Fixed:thu:

• Members

e--------------------------------

B--------------------------------

G---4----2-----------------------

D------------4-----2-----0-------

A-----------------------------2--

E--------------------------------

amirite or am I
:freak:

If I don't feel like messing w/ my delay, I'll just play it like:

eb--------------------------------------

Bb--------------------------------------

Gb-4-4-4-2-4-2---4------4-------4-------

Db--------------4---4-2----2-0-----------

Ab----------------------------------2-2--

Eb----------------------------------------

• Members

I play it without delay, I'm convinced the official tabs out there (from the 80's) are wrong. There's a note played in that intro that isn't in the "official" tabs. I personally think the guy who transcribed it screwed it up.

Archived