Spent time in a studio with Diezel, BadCat, Bogner, Cornford, and etc.

Slim Jim

• Members

Ultra Sound Amp sales in NYC.

You can pay $20 an hour to have the room to yourself to test out all these amps.

I'd advise you to bring your own guitar.

I tried:

- Diezel VH4

- Bogner Shiva

- Cornford MK50

- Bad Cat Hot Cat

- Vox AC30

There was an empty shell casing of a VHT Pitbull that I really wanted to try. :cry:

There was also a Matchless Chieftrain (?), a couple of Dr. Z, Marshall JCM800's and 900's, Mesa Tremoverb and Heartbreaker and some more I'm forgetting.

Onto the reviews!

Diezel VH4:

Really liked the versatility of it. My Bogner Ecstasy is on par with it, in terms of versatility, IMO. I liked the cleans a bit better, the crunch was really nice on ch 2 and channel 3 was nice. Channel 4.. just sounded over compressed and muffled. I tried adjusting mid cut, deep, bass, all that, but it just didn't sound good to me. That pissed me off, cause it kept building up and then I got let down.

Cornford MK50:

Shimmering, shimmering cleans. Holy wow the clean channel was amazing. I could play on that alone for days upon days. I switch over to the gain channel aannndd.... flub. Bassy, messy, flubbiness. I felt like I was playing a whale. Too bad.

Vox AC30:

Clean channel is amazing, of course. Gain turned up and it sounded really good. Not something I was looking for, but it surprised me. That's all I really gots to say about that.

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30:

Really nice clean channel. When I turned the gain up (it didn't have a footswitch) it surprised me as to how good it sounded. When I turned the edge up it had a nice bite, but that of course affected the clean channel which I didn't like.

Bogner Shiva:

Holy hell, this is probably the amp for me. Clean channel had me smiling and just wrapped me up in it's warmth. I felt like it was my favorite blanket on a cool winter's evening. The gain was phenomenal. Rich, full, and a nice bite to it. When I added a boost to both channels it perked up real nice. The reverb on the clean channel sounded amazing.

Note:

All amps were hooked up to egnater amp switcher and played thru Diezel 4x12's with a Fender Strat single coil.

Disclaimer:

I was not aiming for br00talz

• Members

I went to Tone Merchants today and played the Cornford also I actually liked it alot. Very plexi like articulate. I think most ppl now adays just know gain gain and gain and not the feel and touch. Played a Splawn and was sadly disappointed it was 2D not hi gain enough for a rock amp. No depth. Played a VHT Sig-x no dig either. Ended up playing THD Flexi, and Germino Club cranked (gorgeous amp). Now I want a afreaking plexi with PPMIV.

• Members

By what you mentioned about the various amps and the "issues" you had with them, it doesn't surprise me that you said what you did. On the flipside, if they were dialed properly those "issues" would be non existent....no offense. There is nothing flubby about any of my Cornford amps....in fact they are incredibly smooth and far from flubby and muddy. Same thing with the VH4, one of the best all around amps on the planet and possibly the most versatile.....far from muddy and flubby if dialed properly. I say pay 20 bucks a few more times and really spend some time with them. I bet you would see differently.
:)

I set all the dials to noon first and foremost and then worked my way around it. I didn't say the 4th channel was muddy, I said it was overcompressed and muffled.

The Cornford.. well.. I had the bass at noon and the mids at 9 and treble and 9 and it helped.

Still beautiful clean channel.

I hope I don't sound too overly defensive, but I feel as if I'm being attacked here.

Another thing of note, the blue channel on the XTC had a surprisingly low amount of gain. I had to turn it up to 2 to get it where my XTC at home has it at 9

• Members

you pay $20/hr to try amps at a place that sells amps? BUGGERY!

Because the place isn't really a music shop. It is a rehearsal studio with the gear set up in the rehearsal spaces. You need to rent the space to use the equipment, but if you end up buying anything they deduct whatever you put it from the price of the amp. On the positive side, though, you are alone in a soundproof room for it and can play any amp through any cab at any volume for as long as you want without some salesman over your shoulder trying to push you one way or another.

• Members

Just one guitar through all those amps? you fail.

and a single coil at that...you could've at least hooked up a Les Paul for that {censored}. :poke:

He was nice enough to lend me his guitar.

It's kind of a hassel bringing your guitar along for a NYC subway ride.

I sure as hell am not bringing my {censored} along for that.

If I ever drive into the city then, without a doubt.

• Members

Yeah...I kinda get where you are comming from in regards to Channel 4 on the Diezel, was not a huge fan of it for the first week of owning the VH4. But after a good amount of tweaking and trying some different guitars (with different pickups) I have really warmed up to it alot. It took some work...as opposed to channel 3, whitch I LOVED intantly. Thanks for the reviews.

• Members

Ultra Sound Amp sales in NYC.

Cornford MK50:

Shimmering, shimmering cleans. Holy wow the clean channel was amazing. I could play on that alone for days upon days. I switch over to the gain channel aannndd.... flub. Bassy, messy, flubbiness. I felt like I was playing a whale. Too bad.

Maybe something is wrong with that amp.....

This guy played the same exact amp I think and here is his comment and the video:

'The attractive growl of the MK50's high gain sound was marred by a distinct and unwelcome clipping sound during single-note runs, and topped off with an impenetrably Guinness-sized helping of fuzz. You can hear this clearly in the accompanying sound files, and it's significant enough that it led us to suspect something might be wrong with the amp. No amount of fiddling with the amp's bass controls -- both Bass and Resonance -- would make it go away. Which is too bad, because the MK50's tone itself was handsome.'

scroll down for his full comment on MK50 at Ultrasound....

http://www.troygrady.com/page.php?id=33&page=3

[YOUTUBE]er3nmQG_k1E[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Bassy, Flubby Cornford MK?

Now I've heard it all!

I've had mine for 3 months. Probably the most articulate amp I've ever owned. (And I've owned about 20-25 tube amps)

All the more reason to think there is something not right with that amp.....

Archived