Marshall MG 100DFX

myway

• Members

Hi,

Well I took my daughter to GC today to look at some amps. Unfortunatley I was silly enough to take my wife along as well. I was showing her some Crate amps that would suit her just fine.

While attempting to show her some lower end Crates , her Mother interjects, "Oh no Mister, she will not settle for anything less than a Marshall", ....she was on to me.

A few months ago I had bought her a Roland cube. I thought it was great. Well her brother ,"Borrowed", the Roland and plugged in the wrong power source. CRACK! bad sound, smell of fried electronics, you know the drill. So now I have to buy her a new amp. Apparently her fried amp has become my fault.

Well I exclaimed to my wife that I did not ewven have a Marshall. She doesn't care. So she and my girl came across the Marshall MG 100 DFX. I plugged it in. It did not really sound bad at all. I liked the clean channel, as well as the #1 OD. The really high gain channel was not my thing, but I think she liked it. It had a price tag of like $469.00 .

Now I know I am getting a break here by it not being a tube Marshall. I advised my girl that for about the same price she might be able to find something tubed. Wifey poo said no way, she wanted that one.

So how about it. Is this particular amp halfway decent? Is the price tag worth it? Does it take pedals well? Just looking for some opinions here. I like tubes, but this really did not sound bad at all.

I have allready been advised that the amp was going to be hers, and me and my boy can keep our hands off:cry:

• Members

Hi,

Well I took my daughter to GC today to look at some amps. Unfortunatley I was silly enough to take my wife along as well. I was showing her some Crate amps that would suit her just fine.

While attempting to show her some lower end Crates , her Mother interjects, "Oh no Mister, she will not settle for anything less than a Marshall", ....she was on to me.

A few months ago I had bought her a Roland cube. I thought it was great. Well her brother ,"Borrowed", the Roland and plugged in the wrong power source. CRACK! bad sound, smell of fried electronics, you know the drill. So now I have to buy her a new amp. Apparently her fried amp has become my fault.

Well I exclaimed to my wife that I did not ewven have a Marshall. She doesn't care. So she and my girl came across the Marshall MG 100 DFX. I plugged it in. It did not really sound bad at all. I liked the clean channel, as well as the #1 OD. The really high gain channel was not my thing, but I think she liked it. It had a price tag of like $469.00 .

Now I know I am getting a break here by it not being a tube Marshall. I advised my girl that for about the same price she might be able to find something tubed. Wifey poo said no way, she wanted that one.

So how about it. Is this particular amp halfway decent? Is the price tag worth it? Does it take pedals well? Just looking for some opinions here. I like tubes, but this really did not sound bad at all.

I have allready been advised that the amp was going to be hers, and me and my boy can keep our hands off:cry:

Depends. Is it the combo? Definitely switch out the speakers, and then it wont sound half bad.

• Members

it has built in effects...what kind of pedal are you gonna use?:poke:

for what they are, they aren't too terrible. in the grander scheme of things, they suck tremendous goat cocks in hell:o

Pedal wise I really don't know, I figure , knowing her, she will probably want some echo/chorus/flange effects, probably would toy w/ some OD effects as well.

My Gosh who is that in your Avatar!

• Members

You know, TS, you're lucky you didn't ask this question on UG. You would've gotten a bunch of un-educated answers from people who don't know how to EQ an amp at all.

Their decent when EQ'd right. Just throwing it out there though, that they're not actually Marshall designed. They were designed by a no name company that Marshall bought out. That's how the MG series came about. :thu:

• Members

Shouldn't have taken the wife to the store in the first place.:rolleyes:

Skip the MG, it's a piece of {censored}. If budget is of concern, look into a classsic 30 combo, or a classic 30 head from Peavey. It'll blow the MG outta the water and not be out grown in a month.

• Members

Don't forget the Boss Metalzone pedal for the clean channel. Instant Korn sound, CRUSHING, like how I did that? :poke:

Take that MG back when nobody is looking and get the poor girl something with tone. For God's sake $100 or so more and she could be playing through a Traynor. Or a Bugera combo!

Also seems like a divorce may be in your best insterests. Please see "divorce thread" here. That is all.

• Members

Lol, wow. The MG can be EQ'd decently. But after watching numerous locals try to use them in a band setting, they fall out of the mix as soon as any other instrument on stage is played. I mean, they aren't like horrible undependable, and take pedals well. But in the exact same price range there are scores of better amps. Best make the wife angry and find something else. Your daughter will be happy.

And yes, UG HATES the MG and Spider 3. I can't say I like either one. They aren't awful, but as I said there are many other amps in that price range that can deliver much more.

A few off the top of my head

Peavey Valveking

Peavey Classic 30 (these are friggin sweet)

Traynor YCV40

Crate V33

Fender Hot Rod Deville

Bugera 6262 (might be too metal sounding)

B-52 At-100 (again maybe too metal)

Vox AC15

Archived