Splawn vs Avatar vs Lopoline

mparsons

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a pair of 212 vertical cabs, unloaded ( I already have CL80 speakers to go in them ). The options in my price range are Splawn, Lopoline, and Avatar Traditional.

Lopoline is cheapest at ~$200 shipped, unless I want recessed handles on the side, and then the price jumps to $300 shipped.

Avatar Traditional can do $250 shipped, but no side handles

Splawn works out to nearly $400 each after shipping.

What would you say is the best deal? I've got an Avatar slant metal grill cab right now and it sounds great to me, but I want to get my rig in stereo and also be more portable, so this looks like the way to go for me. Would the Splawns be a noticeable improvement, or are the Lopoline's a better deal?

• Members

I've never used an Avatar or Splawn, but I love my Lopoline 2x12 with WGS British Lead & Veteran 30 speakers.

Solid construction. Looks great. Sounds awesome for the price.

I like it better than an Elmwood 2x12 with Vintage 30's that I owned.

PetersGryphon18.jpg

• Members

I've never used an Avatar or Splawn, but I love my Lopoline 2x12 with WGS British Lead & Veteran 30 speakers.

Solid construction. Looks great. Sounds awesome for the price.

I like it better than an Elmwood 2x12 with Vintage 30's that I owned.

PetersGryphon18.jpg

Awesome setup. :thu:

• Members

My avatar 4x12 vintage is pretty sweet. I've never actually played a splawn but I don't doubt that they kick a ton of ass. A friend of mine has 2 lopolines. One is 2x12 and the other is 1x15. He said they're pretty badass and he owns a {censored} ton of gear, especially speaker cabinets. Plus, the lopo's are that awesome brown western tolex, which looks badass in person.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine with any of those. They're all great companies.

• Members

I have owned the Splawn Traditional, the Avatar Vintage, and Lopo Signature.......all 2x12's. The Splawn and Lopo were almost identical in sound. I was VERY disappointed with the Avatar Vintage. It sounded thin and hollow compared to the others. And this was with the same speakers. I also had a traditional Avatar 2x12 which I didn't gel with either. I vote for Lopo.....as long as it is the signature cab. I am having them build me a Signature 2x12 diagonal right now:thu:

• Members

Looks good, we have similar taste I see.

DVC00015.jpg

:love: Nice setup man!!!

Don't know what made me get the orange tolex... wanted something different I guess.

Was worrying constantly while waiting for delivery, thinking it wouldn't be my thing.

But I sure am glad I went with orange.

• Members

I have owned the Splawn Traditional, the Avatar Vintage, and Lopo Signature.......all 2x12's. The Splawn and Lopo were almost identical in sound. I was VERY disappointed with the Avatar Vintage. It sounded thin and hollow compared to the others. And this was with the same speakers. I also had a traditional Avatar 2x12 which I didn't gel with either. I vote for Lopo.....as long as it is the signature cab. I am having them build me a Signature 2x12 diagonal right now:thu:

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Right now Lopoline is in the lead, especially if the signature matches the Splawn's quality.

• Members

avatar makes good stuff, but i've only tried them briefly, never tried lopoline...i can assure you tho if you go with a pair of splawn cabs, they'll be the last cabs you'll ever need to buy (given you'll have to find the right speakers)

i considered some cheaper 4x12 cabs back when i got my first splawn 4x12, but decided splawn was the best bang for the buck i had found...i ended up buying two more cabs from them, and they'll be with me for a long long time

• Members

I'd go with the Splawn.

I owned an Avatar vinage 2x12 (it was good) BUT not nearly as good as my splawn cabs

There is a reason why I ordered 3 4x12 splawn cabinets : )

build, tone, quality, customized and because Scott and Josh are two of the most respectful human beings on the planet

• Members

:love:
Nice setup man!!!

Don't know what made me get the orange tolex... wanted something different I guess.

Was worrying constantly while waiting for delivery, thinking it wouldn't be my thing.

But I sure am glad I went with orange.

Dude, I wantz your peters :love:

aww {censored}, this is going to get sigg'd isnt it :mad:

• Members

Typically I recommend that you spend more money now to get what you want or what you will be happy with as opposed to saving and potentially being less happy down the road. Lopoline is a great company and they get my business for retolexing, but if you know in your heart that you want the Splawn, do a few extra paper routes and get it.

Archived