youtube 5150 combo demo - not bro0tlz

guitarbilly74

• Members

Man I LOVE that first clean thing you play. What is that song?

I don't know.. I was just improvising, trying to play some hendrix-y chords...

it also reminds me of pearl jam's yellow leadbelly.. but I think the chords on that song are a little different, but that's vibe I was going for..

• Members

I don't know.. I was just improvising, trying to play some hendrix-y chords...

it also reminds me of pearl jam's yellow leadbelly.. but I think the chords on that song are a little different, but that's vibe I was going for..

I think it was way cooler sounding than Yellow Ledbetter. Anyways...clean does sound good.

• Members

That's honestly your selling point...?

Yeah, why?

I love the sound of 5150s. However I don't gig anymore and the Vypyr's features would suit me better. So if it can pull of a good 6505 tone, cost less, and weigh less, I'll go for the Vypyr.

If the Vypyr blows, I'll get a 5150/6505 combo.

• Members

I think it was way cooler sounding than Yellow Ledbetter. Anyways...clean does sound good.

yeah yellow ledbetter... I thought the song was called yellow leadbelly...LMAO just goes to show what a big PJ fan I really am

anyway thanks for the compliments

• Members

Why? The combos, even though they tend to sound better than the heads, have a couple of perceived downsides against them:

Lower wattage

{censored}ty speakers

HEAVY as hell (and not tonally)

And most guitarists just seem to be biased against combos, even though it is probably more practical for what most of us do than having a full/half stack. But the stack is the dream.

i think a head and a 2x12 cab is all i need.therefore its easier to carry and looks cool.:thu: plus you can practically mix and match heads and cabs,and get speakers of your choice.

threadstarter:thats some nice playing man.nice tone too.

• Members

Maybe I'm biased, but I like the head better than the combo. It's voiced differently than the combo as well. It's not just biased differently. They gave it a different sound than the head. The head has more balls IMO.

I actually agree with you that the head sounds better.

But my main rig is a Mesa MkIII head and a 4x12 with greenbacks AND a fender twin for cleans. I love it but it is becoming too much of a hassle to carry it to certain gigs.

I also have a Mesa DC10, Marshall JCM900 and DSL50 heads so I am pretty set as far as amp heads go.

So I wanted something that would give me a heavy tone, a decent clean and reverb in a small package. The 5150 fit the bill nicely, although I am really wanting to get the legacy combo now, I think the distortion of the 5150 is a little too heavy for my taste.

Archived