Splawn style mod for Peavey Windsor (w/ schematic)

ericwylde

• 2 months later...
  • Members

hi there.

I was interested in modding my peavey windsor. After having a look at the schematic i wanted to ask modders/techs a few questions.

Do you think that modding the power amp circuit into a more typical design, without that garbage 'texture' circuit would have any significant sonic merits?

whats the deal with that circuit anyway? Is the gain stage before the phase inverter there to offset the fact that that given phase inverter does not have any gain as opposed to the differential amplifier more commonly used?

Any clarification would be appreciated

cheers

• Members

I have a Peavey WIndsor that I have modded quite a bit. Some of the mods I've done were posted in that "windsor QR" schematic, and some were not. I like the overall tone I get from my modded windsor, but I'm not sure that schematic would offer the optimal tone.

Oh, and I own a Pro Mod too, so I've got daily comparison between the two :)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I did the mod on a Windsor, from what I remember the mod was pretty much as posted - it definately opened up the gain part of the amp and fixed the choked sound the Windsor originally had. The only thing was you can't get anything much in the way of a clean sound ,though not that the amp originally had one anyway.

If you want an amp thats full on gain wise wthout many other options it might be for you.

My observations of the Windsor,great straight forward amp ,construction good,easy to mod,interesting dual output stage (wired for el34 or 6l6s) and bloody loud.

• Members

I did the mod on a Windsor, from what I remember the mod was pretty much as posted - it definately opened up the gain part of the amp and fixed the choked sound the Windsor originally had. The only thing was you can't get anything much in the way of a clean sound ,though not that the amp originally had one anyway.

If you want an amp thats full on gain wise wthout many other options it might be for you.

My observations of the Windsor,great straight forward amp ,construction good,easy to mod,interesting dual output stage (wired for el34 or 6l6s) and bloody loud.

nice!

I think a heyboer output transformer would be a great upgrade too (and it's pretty cheap)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Slightly OT, I don't get why there's all this hatred for the Windsor...
:idk:

Maybe because it's dirt cheap and therefore a good basis for modding?

Although, I don't know about the OT's quality - and if you have to swap in a Heyboer or a Mercury to get a useable sound out, then it's over with dirt cheap ;)

Larry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

if the EVH face=jumper, i don't think this will work very well. if you jump the cap across R65, you won't have a voltage drop across it any more, which means there will be a steady B++ into the tone stack.

unless i'm missing something
:confused:

good point any fixes?

• Members

if the EVH face=jumper, i don't think this will work very well. if you jump the cap across R65, you won't have a voltage drop across it any more, which means there will be a steady B++ into the tone stack.

unless i'm missing something
:confused:

yeah, that should be cut only, not jumped :thu:

I would prefer a cathode follower, though

there are others things that I would change too, like reducing the input resistors

the 1n to the ground would probably kill way too much high end (maybe the value in the hand drawn schem is wrong?)

I'd just use 100p or 120p before the third stage, maybe in the input

• Members

hey larry!

there are a few mistakes and some switches missing in the mod schem

I did that in like 5 minutes at 3 AM a long time ago

I think you gotta sign up to sloclone to access the files

yeah, that should be cut only, not jumped
:thu:
I would prefer a cathode follower, though

there are others things that I would change too, like reducing the input resistors

the 1n to the ground would probably kill way too much high end (maybe the value in the hand drawn schem is wrong?)

I'd just use 100p or 120p before the third stage, maybe in the input

This layout needs to be fixed then pronto.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

c6=100nf

I've come back enlightened with amp knowledge, now all I need is a Windsor now, Btw what the op posted is pretty close to a splawn but, he's got a couple of values wrong and didn't include the modes.

Any one wanna sell one?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't know what the hell a Splawn is but you don't list components that are supposed to be there, & you don't make a lot of sence with any of your values, what the hell is a 1N?? 1nanofarad? come on, I have a Windsor Studio right in front of me, no schematics on the web, guess I'll call Peavey

• Members

I don't know what the hell a Splawn is
but you don't list components that are supposed to be there, & you don't make a lot of
sence
with any of your values,
what the hell is a 1N??
1nanofarad? come on, I have a Windsor Studio right in front of me,
no schematics on the web
, guess I'll call Peavey

:lol::lol::lol:

there's a link for the stock Windsor schematic in the first post

forget the Splawn mod

it's obsolete

• Members

:lol:

there's a link for the stock Windsor schematic in the first post

forget the Splawn mod

it's obsolete

This, but I say it's salvageable but you have to know whats missing.

The schematic for the splawn mod is pretty close but its missing the second channel and all the switching. As per the ops schem it's running all out balls to the wall.

• Members

This, but I say it's salvageable but you have to know whats missing.

The schematic for the splawn mod is pretty close but its missing the second channel and all the switching. As per the ops schem it's running all out balls to the wall.

yeah, that was based in an early hand drawn splawn schem and done like 5 pm

it's close, but still missing a lot of things

I think I already posted a better schem to the quickrod

• Members

yeah, that was based in an early hand drawn splawn schem and done like 5 pm

it's close, but still missing a lot of things

I think I already posted a better schem to the quickrod

I have a pretty good idea of whats missing and i have a pretty reliable schem, but it wouldn't hurt to see your schematic, so where can I find it?

Thanks man.

Archived