Seymour Duncan JB pickups for metal???

jr_vw2

• Members
I used a JB in my Axis on this tune...
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1124

I know that's not metal, but I can say that I wouldn't recommend it for metal. I couldn't deal with that certain mid 'honk' I got out of it so I put the stock pup back in after that:(

I think that mid honk is good for bangin out some open chords and you want that classic "RGHHIIAAAAWNNGGGG" raunch after you just slammed an open G chord because that's the only part of "Paradise City" by GnR that you know :cry:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think that mid honk is good for bangin out some open chords and you want that classic "RGHHIIAAAAWNNGGGG" raunch after you just slammed an open G chord because that's the only part of "Paradise City" by GnR that you know
:cry:

Paradise City?:freak: You lost me there:confused:

• Members

JB works great in dark guitars, because that's pretty much what it's designed for. For bright guitars the Duncan custom is the same thing but voiced darker.

I don't care for the Duncan Custom. I'm ripping it out of my Eagle and putting in a JB. The JB's harmonics destroy the Custom's.

• Members

Just because you can't copy my greatness does not mean you have to be a hater!!!!
:cop:
:poke:

Am I the only one to tell you, that all this time I though that red thing in the middle of your avatars back was some kind of freaky blood filled back vagina :facepalm:

• Members

Yes a JB can do metal, at least old school metal. I really like the JB in the bridge of my MIA strat. I have the bridge locked down, so its as close to a hard tail as it can get. I don't find it too bright, but it can be a bit honky in the mids.

As said before the JB is an love it or hate it pickup, but a pretty standard one. King of like the Celestion Vintage 30 is in the speaker world....

• Members

Try the Duncan Distortion, it is much more versatile than the name implies.

+1 i considered the JB and its a nice pickup, playing on some ibanez models, and i actually have JB jr in my strat

let me tell you, the distortion is the one to get though, its really hot without the side effect of mud. the clarity is amazing.

• Members

JB= Perfect pickup to bring out a natural basic tone that has the perfect amount of output for heavy guitar. Use a split coil Tom Anderson in the neck for cleans and liquid leads and youre set.

EDIT: For best results use in a MAHOGANY guitar.

• Members

Both are definately more prescent, less muddy and probably a lot tighter than the invader.

The warpig I have is like a more organic, clearer version of the invader. A lot of people describe it that way too.

Alinco or ceramic warpig??? and how does it stack up for 'thickness' as compared to the Invader tone?? Do diminished chords ring out with clarity or are they still garbeled - inclusive of detuning to B and/or A. cheers...

• Members

Alinco or ceramic warpig??? and how does it stack up for 'thickness' as compared to the Invader tone?? Do diminished chords ring out with clarity or are they still garbeled - inclusive of detuning to B and/or A. cheers...

I just A/B'd my guitars with Invaders/Alnico Warpigs, and I have to say the Warpigs smack the shizz out of the invader for clarity. You can play complex chords and still hear individual notes.

The invader is a tad brighter being a hot ceramic and does just fine for thumping out power chords but not so much for the more complex stuff. I hadn't played that guitar in a good while though, sounded better than I thought it did :love:

• Members

I took the emgs out of one of my ltds and put in a jb.

Love the sound the jb produces. It did take alot of amp tweaking to get it were I wanted it. And it does have a certain 'twang' to it. But to me, the mid spike gives power chords punch that the emgs didnt.

• Members

Well I bought the Jackson today as well as a JB and I absolutly HATE that pickup. In that guitar it is so freakin dark... I feel like I cant get any clarity out of it at all. Playing my Schecter with EMG 81/85 and playing this Jackson back to back I vote EMG hands down. I think the pickup would be pretty good for classic rock but im not feeling it for Metal. Thanks for all the input. And I now have a JB for sale if anyone is interested. LOL

The JB...dark? :poke:

...and in a Jackson???

No clarity????

The JB is one of the most articulate passives I can think of...and I'm a pickup swap-out whore.

Archived