Seymour Duncan JB pickups for metal???

jr_vw2

• Members

I am noticing more and more metal bands using the seymour duncan JB pickups Does anyone on here use them for metal? I will be purchasing a Jackson JS30RR Rhoads JS series guitar and I was thinking about putting a set of them in it. I have been using EMG 81/85 combo for a long time now I still like them but I want to branch out and try something new. Any input would be great. Thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am noticing more and more metal bands using the seymour duncan JB pickups Does anyone on here use them for metal? I will be purchasing a Jackson JS30RR Rhoads JS series guitar and I was thinking about putting a set of them in it. I have been using EMG 81/85 combo for a long time now I still like them but I want to branch out and try something new. Any input would be great. Thanks

If you've got a choice, I wouldn't go JB for metal. There are better choices out there for sure.

ESPECIALLY if you want to downtune. The JB lacks a bit of definition on the lower strings when downtuned. The high mid peak doesn't do it any justice IMO. Unless you like high mid peaks.

• Members

I don't play t3h br00talZ, so my opinion may note be as solid for what you may play, but I have always liked the JB for a variety of stuff, including at least 'old school' metal, like 80's Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Priest, etc.

• Members

i've heard rumors that the guitar that the JB is in matters everything. i've heard the BEST application for it is a mahogany guitar - namely a les paul. My experience w/ the JB in my LP Studio is that it's awesome. thick, defined, and will do metal very well. I know Adam Jones of TOOL uses the jb in his custom silverburst, and i freakin love his tone. i also have a jb in my fernandes ravelle - again, a mahogany/maple guitar and it sounds great. i'm happy w/ the JB and I play a lot of drop D stuff too.

however, I think the thing I like most about it is it's ability to do high gain tones well but still have a great clean and be very versatile for just about anything. that's my 2 cents, but that is pretty biased w/ experience only in mahogany LP style guitars.

• Members

JB in a mahogany bodied guitar is actually my long time favorite bridge pickup. But I tend to like a more old school metal tone with a decent amount of midrange and well...I guess balance overall. It may not be what you're looking for if you want a more "extreme" sound. Maybe a Custom 5 or something would be more suited to you.

• Members
i've heard rumors that the guitar that the JB is in matters everything. i've heard the BEST application for it is a mahogany guitar - namely a les paul. My experience w/ the JB in my LP Studio is that it's awesome. thick, defined, and will do metal very well. I know Adam Jones of TOOL uses the jb in his custom silverburst, and i freakin love his tone. i also have a jb in my fernandes ravelle - again, a mahogany/maple guitar and it sounds great. i'm happy w/ the JB and I play a lot of drop D stuff too. however, I think the thing I like most about it is it's ability to do high gain tones well but still have a great clean and be very versatile for just about anything. that's my 2 cents, but that is pretty biased w/ experience only in mahogany LP style guitars.

I actually disliked the JB in my schecter (mahogany) till I played it through a certain amp (my new triamp) and I had that guitar for yeaarrsss.

Still don't like it for tuning down, but now I love it for classic rock toanes :love:

• Members

If you've got a choice, I wouldn't go JB for metal. There are better choices out there for sure.

ESPECIALLY
if you want to downtune. The JB lacks a bit of definition on the lower strings when downtuned. The high mid peak doesn't do it any justice IMO. Unless you like high mid peaks.

I think I can see what you mean about it being bad for downtuning (by that I mean B or lower), as I have downtuned some here and there and just didn't like the tone I was getting. Always thought that maybe i needed to re-eq a bit or something, but also, i really just don't like a regular 6/7-string guitar tuned that low. there's just something about that tone/sound that just doesn't do it for me, even when I hear that stuff on the radio or at a friends place. thus, I don't worry about how the JB handles the downtuning.

Archived