rap. what a joke.

skempe

• Members

rap might not be crap...

but jeez its so damn boring.

throw some odd meter in there once in a while.

Yeah--that's one thing I've always noticed about rap. Always 4/4. Anyone know of any exceptions?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

oh...and on 'blackalicious,' i went and downloaded 3 tunes after i read thru the thread....the beats are awful. really, really (in regards to the thread above this) WHITE. lol. there were piano hits that just didn't even come close to grooving.....just pure ass playing. the rhyming was actually very bright, but can you recommend anything for me to listen to, because from where i'm sitting, "paragraph president, chemical calisthenics and alphabet aerobics" just straight up suck.

They're hit or miss for me. If you want to get into some great rap, just listen to Common, The Roots, or (especially) A Tribe Called Quest. A Tribe Called Quest's beats and lyrics are still pretty fresh and relevant today, Common is just now getting popular (long overdue), and The Roots released one of 2006's top albums (Game Theory).

• Members

The thing that's always confused me about rap is that EZE is so indignant about the cops banging on his door. He gets pissed, and asks himself and the listener: why are they doing this? And he answers his own question: maybe it's because I kick so much butt. Then, I can't remember for certain, but I'm almost 100% positive that he also admits to killing people, or at least pointing his gun at them and pulling on the trigger. Why are the cops at your door EZE? It's because you broke the law.

RIP

• Members

They're hit or miss for me. If you want to get into some great rap, just listen to Common, The Roots, or (especially) A Tribe Called Quest. A Tribe Called Quest's beats and lyrics are still pretty fresh and relevant today, Common is just now getting popular (long overdue), and The Roots released one of 2006's top albums (Game Theory).

oh...you got me wrong. i know everyone else...i'm a HUGE roots fan..(seen them live about 6 times....lived in jersey - philly's a quick drive) Game theory is a RIDICULOUSLY good album, though i still have nostalgic emotional ties to 'do you want more' and 'things fall apart.' :)

i also love tribe and common is tight. i just wanted to see what's up with blackalicious...and blue2blue: i appreciate that. i'm going to do more digging.

• Members

I'm not. And I'm not black, either. Which means I don't exist in the mainstream, but it also means I can get away with saying a lot of things.
:D

lol. keep telling yourself that. :thu: :thu: :thu:

lol. just playin, man. i'm not so sensitive with {censored} like that. :cool:

• Members

I was watching that show adventures in hollyhood on MTV with the guys from 3:6 mafia and they were writing a rap song. They were talking about how hard it was and how long it took them. I was laughing. I could write a rap song plus catchy lyrics so quickly compared to those talentless scumbags.

• Members

I was watching that show adventures in hollyhood on MTV with the guys from 3:6 mafia and they were writing a rap song. They were talking about how hard it was and how long it took them. I was laughing. I could write a rap song plus catchy lyrics so quickly compared to those talentless scumbags.

You should totally go ahead and do that. Post it here, and I'll give you a Grammy myself.

• Members

I tend to agree that about 1/2 of the rap and hip hop I hear is unlistenable garbage......

Come to think of it, about 1/2 of the power/pop/punk I hear is also garbage, imo.....

and about 1/2 of the C&W I hear on the radio is little more than a joke, .....

hmmmm...now that I think about it, about 2/3 of the metal I am exposed to sounds like moronic childish noise.....

I think it is safe to assume that between 1/2 to 2/3 of the music that is readily commercially accessible is junk.

• Members

The truth is Rap is a style of music as well as an art form and a form of self-expression.

I say this because Music and Art in general (music, paintings, movies, dance, all that good stuff.) is created solely to depict someone's emotions and try to invoke emotions in others who are watching/listening.

So just because you don't LIKE a certain style of music doesn't mean its not a style of music.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first guy in line to bust another cap in 50s dumb ass, but have you ever listened to quality rap?

Almost ALL old school rap is good, Kurtis Blow - the breaks, I love that bass line, it grooves TOO hard. Geto Boys, NWA, Biggie, all good music.

If you notice all the rap songs you see on mtv or hear on the radio have 1 of 3 themes "Money in the bank" "Get Crunk" "I'm doing your girl". Thats lame, it lacks the soul and R&B feel the earlier Rap era produced, its all about making money nowdays.

Thats not to say there isn't quality "rap" out today, I jam hard to BIG L, Afu-Ra, and Self-scientific all the time.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not music or its not worthy of a grammy. Why the radio and mainstream plays the crappy stuff, idk, they manage to sell us bottled water so I guess anythings quite possible....

• Members

One thing I've always noticed about hip hop and rap productions is that the kick drum is always huge, but 95% of the time, there is no snare. It's usually just a light finger snap or hand clap where the snare should be.

I know rap and hip-hop has the reputation of being the best, booty-shakin music around, but personally, the music that really makes me want to dance is the stuff where you can really feel the pulse of the snare. And hip-hop nowadays is all about that loud, boomy kick; the power that a crisp, intense snare drum can create is completely overlooked. Probably why I never really got into hip-hop. I just gotta have more snare. :)

Come to think of it, that's how most rhythm and dance-oriented music is nowadays.

This is neither good nor bad, necessarily; it's just a matter of my own personal preference. I guess most people don't really feel the same way.

• Members

I've noticed that with rap more than any other music, image is just as, if not more important than the music. The idea of rap is one of a culture, not just a musical art form. I think it's the culture that drives a lot of people away from rap. We have to take it in perspective, that rap originates from the inner city, and those of us with money and education and a decent lifestyle naturally will find rap culture base and unappealing in many ways.

As musicians I think we should know better than to judge music because of the people who perform it. There is a lot of good rap out there, especially the underground stuff (radio = crap, I 100% agree). We also need to appreciate rap for the skills it emphasizes. Rap is all about rhythm, pulse, and lyrics. Good rap will combine these things into something that flows naturally and has a powerful message. Granted many rap lyrics these days are complete bull{censored} and have no meaning at all, but the good rappers will say some really profound things in their music.

I actually have to say that until maybe a month ago I agreed that rap wasn't even music, but I've found a new appreciation for what it is, even if I still dislike what it often is associated with.

Thank you! I agree 100%. To just disregard rap altogether, I feel, is ignorant, just as it is to judge any other form of music. I could say that country music (which is a respectable form of music, though not to my liking) is crap, but I respect the artists expressing themselves, just as rap artists have a voice. True, a lot of today's rap is pro-drugs, pro-guns and defaming women, but there are some gems.

To me, it appears that the originator of this thread is just spouting nonsense just for the sake of starting an argument.

:blah:

• Members

I tend to agree that about 1/2 of the rap and hip hop I hear is unlistenable garbage......

Come to think of it, about 1/2 of the power/pop/punk I hear is also garbage, imo.....

and about 1/2 of the C&W I hear on the radio is little more than a joke, .....

hmmmm...now that I think about it, about 2/3 of the metal I am exposed to sounds like moronic childish noise.....

I think it is safe to assume that between 1/2 to 2/3 of the music that is readily commercially accessible is junk.

You are SO much more charitable than I -- across the board. I usually go with ninety percent of everything is crap...

• Members

Listen to...

A Tribe Called Quest

Beastie Boys

Common

The Roots

Talib Kweli

Outkast

Kanye West

Jurassic 5

Blackalicious

...and then get back to me.

Checked them all out, still hate it. I really did listen too. :thu:

Kanye West is especially bad.

• Members

Checked them all out, still hate it. I really did listen too.
:thu:

Kanye West is especially bad.

As my main man Ice Cube would say "Youza haytaaaaaaah"

although Kanye is wack, the rest are decent enough.

Archived