Request: Sears Silvertone 1484 and 1485

Uncle_Milton

• Members

I'm gassing for one of these. If anyone sees or hears about one for sale please PM me.

Also If anyone knows where I can get clips or videos please let me know.

This is what they look like:

1485m1.jpg

I believe the 1484 is also called a "twin twelve", not sure though

• Members

I see them on ebay now and then. The ones in good condition sell for a pretty penny, $800+ sometimes. Every once and awhile they'll go for less.

If anyone sees them pop up on their local craigslist shoot me a msg.

And yes, they are the tube silvertones. The 1484 is a 2 x 6l6s and the 1485 is it's bigger brother with 4 x 6l6s

A little thing about them is that they were designed with an included cabinet with space to store the heads inside. They were hard wired to that cab. So you have to do a little mod to put in a speaker out.

• Members

I'm gassing for one of these. If anyone sees or hears about one for sale please PM me.

1485m1.jpg

LOL...my first amp was a silvertone just like in your picture. I "upgraded" to a current model of Fender SS amp of the time:freak:....Man I wish I still had that silvertone!!!:cry::cry: Thinking back I havent owned an amp that sounds as good as that thing did. Very organic and rich clean then it just sings a thick crunch when you crank it up a bit.

• Members

1485m1.jpg

I believe the 1484 is also called a "twin twelve", not sure though[/quote

Is that a 6 x 10 cab?:confused:

• Members

its funny, they used to go for 200-400 all day and then... *cough*... somebody famous started usign them...

:rolleyes:

yeah. Not to try to sound cool or nothin'. I fell for them when I saw one on ebay. It looked like a washing machine. Then I found out about a yeah later that white was using them.

They aren't terribly special tonally. They just have a sweet crunch, good cleans and a really cool look. Which is all you can ask for in a vintage amp.

• Members

:rolleyes:

yeah. Not to try to sound cool or nothin'. I fell for them when I saw one on ebay. It looked like a washing machine. Then I found out about a yeah later that white was using them.

They aren't terribly special tonally. They just have a sweet crunch, good cleans and a really cool look. Which is all you can ask for in a vintage amp.

:thu:

+1 on the crunch. anybody can hate on jack white all they want, but that crunch is really mean and dirty.

Its funny because silvertone used to be synonymous with "cheap vintage" gear.... so much for that eh? :(

• 3 months later...
  • Members

hey there man. I'm interested

I don't have cash on hand at the moment, but you looking to trade? I'd be interested in trading my 5150 Block letter, bias modded for the 1485 + ($250). If you want cash, wait until December, and I can pay you $600 + shipping for it

pm me or email me at

robotbodiesbff (at) gmail.com

and we'll talk about it

• Members

While the Silvertone amps sound pretty sweet, they usually need a ton of work so keep that in mind when buying. Filter caps for sure if they have't been changed already. The Silvertone amps were built using cheap {censored} resistors that drift. Every Silvertone I've had come thru my door has needed many resistors changed to get them back to spec. I've worked on a bunch of them.

Jerry

• Members

$600?! {censored} that, while they sound awesome they are prone to failure and the
cabs are built pretty cheaply
, I wouldn't drag my 1x8 combo around with me often since it's so flimsy, I couldn't imagine something bigger turning out well at a gig.

The cabinets are a weak point for sure. They were made from 1/2 thick particle board/MDF and after they are near any moisture the crap swells and then falls apart.

A few years ago I built new 3/4" plywood cabs for the head and the speakers and it now has a new life in Black Tolex.

• Members

The cabinets are a weak point for sure. They were made from 1/2 thick particle board/MDF and after they are near any moisture the crap swells and then falls apart.

A few years ago I built new 3/4" plywood cabs for the head and the speakers and it now has a new life in Black Tolex.

Hmm I've always thought about doing that to my Silvertone but it just isn't worth it to me, I found it in the basement of the house I'm renting when I moved in. A visit to the Doctor and a clean bill of health and it's been on a few recordings and even used as a vocal amp :love: Post pics though man, I'd like to see that!

• Members

I wanna Silvertone too!

I just realized after playing tonight that all of my bandmates have monochromatic gear, and (once again, my avatar), I really, really, really, like the oldschool mojo, but didn't wanna pay for a monochromatic blackface.

Silvertone is the next best thing and still a relatively good value (exc. the 1485).

Still waiting to hear how my Ga-200 will sound; I found it when I couldn't find a working/decent 1484.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hey Cap'n'. I just got a facebook form an old high school bud. He's got a 1485 he just pulled out of the garage. It's a little beat...so he says, I haven't seen pics yet. He did fire it up and all systems are go. I play guitar here in Branson MO and am thinking about getting it too but wanted to be fair and let you know about it. I'm a little more hip on the pricing of these things. I'll have to wait and see pics. I'll share them with you and give you contact info if you like. The amp is in Vancouver WA near Portland OR. You can reach me on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1061834746

or email at draynor@daveraynor.com

DR

1485m1.jpg

Archived