Getting too jumbled with leads

Guiary

• Members

I need some advice!!!

When I'm jamming around with my band or working on a song and it's time to through in a lead I'm honestly confused what to do... I want it to sound "epic" not just some wanking around. I know the modes and 5 shapes of the pentatonic (majors and minors) but when it comes down to putting this knowledge to use I'm too busy thinking it all over and end up just wanking some half ass shred {censored}.

I think whats holding me back a lot is that I've never really sat down and learned a solo/lead passage note for note by any recording artist. I usually just figure out what Key it's in and create my own... But lately it's been really bugging me.

Any suggestions or suggestions on solo/lead passages that I should just sit down and spend the time learning note for note?

Thanks!!

Gary

• Members

Jamming to records is a real good way to practice. Also, get some backing tracks and play over them. For your own stuff, pick and choose your spots - dynamics - build to a finale - don't keep your foot to the floor the entire solo. I hate solos that sound like a practice exersize. SLOW DOWN. Make the notes mean something. Create your solos in sections. When you find a part you like, keep trying different parts with it. It will come together.

As far as note for note solos, try some old Maiden, Cream, Pantera, AIC, stuff like that. I don't know what your into, but if you want to go for "feel", this will cover some nice pentatonic ground.

• Members

Thanks for the tips!

As far as what I'm into... honestly anything! I don't want to be type casted as a certain Genre, but as far as my band goes hard rock/metal, but as far as I go I want to learn it all!!! I could careless if I was told to learn country as long as in the long run it made me a better all round musician who could be dropped into any situation and still come out on top.

• Members

I like to examine the chord structure, and play something that opposes it.

Start out with your first chord. Play the third. If the chord moves down, you move up. Experiment with tension/release. Play the 7th of the chord, then resolve it. Play a note that sounds bad over one chord, but resolves to the next one.

It certainly won't write your leads for you, but it'll give you some general direction.

• Members

I like to examine the chord structure, and play something that opposes it.

Start out with your first chord. Play the third. If the chord moves down, you move up. Experiment with tension/release. Play the 7th of the chord, then resolve it. Play a note that sounds bad over one chord, but resolves to the next one.

It certainly won't write your leads for you, but it'll give you some general direction.

hmmm I really like the thought process behind that! Sounds like it would work quite well and also give a kind of disordered sound while sounding right.

I'm trying to get into the habit of using lydian mode instead of an ionian to create that kind of "sounds bad at first but fits after". Still having a bitch of a time getting it to work though... I guess the same goes for a mixolydian; although that seems to fit easier but doesn't sound nearly as cool!

Archived