still haven't found "that amp" yet

elliseye

• Members

arghh. so i'm now on my upteenth amp and still i have yet to find the tone and versatility i'm looking for. i have an idea of what i want but i haven't actually found the amp that puts it all together for me.

(real quick rundown of tube amps i've owned)

fender bassman 71 and 71

fender twin 71 and 65 reissue

fender tremolux 65

mesa dual rectifier (2 channel)

hughes and kettner triamp mk1

out of all of these i like the clean channel from my twin and the 1a clean on my triamp and i kinda liked the distortion on my mesa but it still wasn't the tone of my dreams.

amps i've tried that i can't stand

orange anything at all (sterile clean and boring distortion, too garage rock for me)

vht pitbull (too dark and really had no clean at all)

hk triamp - great clean, distortion is noisy and far too many channels, even bought a midi switch but still too much for me

marshall anything - just don't like the lack of clean tone

laney vc50 (just like the vh100) too noisy, didn't cut through at all

so from what i've gathered the amp i'm looking for should have

4 6l6's or possibly kt88's (need 100 watts)

be a 2 channel amp with a single button footswitch

not too picky with effects loop but i wouldn't mind having one and can deal with a 2nd footswitch for that.

looking for a twin like clean, really dynamic and not sterile!!!! but not marshall gainy

good modern distortion without noise and with some actual character. i like the dark tone of channel 3b on my triamp a bit but the top end is too fizzy and the amp lacks all bottom end at least to my ears.

must be dependable and reliable

and must be around 1000-1400 used. (or something i can trade my triamp or possibly my mesa for)

anyone have any suggestions as i'm out of ideas!

• Members

and why do y' need 100 watts? mebbe the lack of good cleans has more to do with the fact you're not putting any of it to the power section.

why don't you pin out a lower watt amp, you'll get a more responsive gain tone, and a way nicer clean tone? 100 watts is too much for MOST guys, outside of monster stage metal dudes...

to boot, i dunno.. mebbe try something besides v30's.. throw in 2 t75s to your 1960.. it'll certainly flatten out a bit, and give you a fighting chance at decent clean tone..

• Members

pitbull i played was a hundred cl. i think something might have been wrong with it but i need to hear some better clips of one.

how much different is the tremoverb from the rectifier? i'd be interested to try one of those again.

100 watts is mainly because i usually run my amp at about 6 (or 1 o'clock) i can't imagine cutting the watts down in half. actually i've done it once with the vc-50 and was buried underneath my old band's other guitarist and his marshall jcm2555.

i love my emg's. they still sound good through my twin so they're not too brittle and i have tried my amps with my ibanez with paf pro's and still it's missing a lot. i do also use a tele thinline reissue 72 occassionally.

zozorba - quiet. with the demand for an amp that covers the twin to destruct-o-gain realm. it's just finding it.

• Members

pitbull i played was a hundred cl. i think something might have been wrong with it but i need to hear some better clips of one.

how much different is the tremoverb from the rectifier? i'd be interested to try one of those again.

100 watts is mainly because i usually run my amp at about 6 (or 1 o'clock) i can't imagine cutting the watts down in half. actually i've done it once with the vc-50 and was buried underneath my old band's other guitarist and his marshall jcm2555.

i love my emg's. they still sound good through my twin so they're not too brittle and i have tried my amps with my ibanez with paf pro's and still it's missing a lot. i do also use a tele thinline reissue 72 occassionally.

zozorba - quiet. with the demand for an amp that covers the twin to destruct-o-gain realm. it's just finding it.

CL has no real clean channel :p you can get moderately clean...but it's rhythm and lead. both OD channels

CLX/UL are the 3 channel VHTs. Both have (imo)phenominal cleans

• Members

CL has no real clean channel
:p
you can get moderately clean...but it's rhythm and lead. both OD channels

CLX/UL are the 3 channel VHTs. Both have (imo)phenominal cleans

ahhh... any clips of the cleans i'm kinda curious now. i was just very dissappointed by the CL.

• Members

Sure theres demand for it but theres a damn good reason they dont exist.

• Members

ahhh... any clips of the cleans i'm kinda curious now. i was just very dissappointed by the CL.

haven't really done any clean clips as of yet

but this one has some clean in it

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/93-MIC_TEST2_MIX1-01.mp3

here's one done by forumite kelly

it's the single channel deliverance. can be meaaaan as hell dist, but some nice cleans there

Archived