Stiletto Ace or Mark IV?

stratotastic

• Members

I'm trading away my current amp (Mesa LSS) because I want something a little nastier/crunchier. I have two nice offers on the table and can't decide. One is a Mark IV and the other a Stiletto Ace. The amp will mostly be used for modern hard rock/power pop covers (Foos, Weezer, Offspring, etc.) with a little classic rock mixed in, so I'm looking for a Marshall-esque sound, which is what is drawing me toward the Ace. However this will be my only amp so I'll need some versatility (including nice cleans), which the Mark IV has. I actually owned a Mark IV about 13 years ago and got rid of it b/c I was overwhelmed by the options and tired of the endless tweaking despite the great sounds I got out of it. The Ace seems much easier to work with and has EL-34 sound I want, but maybe the experience/wisdom that comes with time will make the Mark IV easier to deal with this time around.

Anyway, it's up to YOU, HCAF, to guide me to the promised land!! :)

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I've found the Stiletto to be quite versatile. The clean tones are very nice (I prefer Fat Clean with the Strat, Tite with the EC1000 for general use), Crunch and Tite Gain are Marshall-flavored tones, and Fluid Drive is darker, modern high gain.

Here's a clip of my Stiletto Deuce through WGS Green Berets. I'm using Fluid Drive (with the gain backed off, then boosted with a Sparkle Drive) and Tite Clean. The first section is boosted Fluid Drive with the bridge pickup, then Fluid Drive on its own with neck and middle for an in-between tone, and finally Tite Clean for some gritty, edge-of-breakup cleans with the neck pickup. Stiletto Clip

And the Stiletto's effects loop is quite nice, for whatever that's worth.

• Members

I actually owned a Mark IV about 13 years ago and got rid of it b/c I was overwhelmed by the options and tired of the endless tweaking despite the great sounds I got out of it. The Ace seems much easier to work with and has EL-34 sound I want, but maybe the experience/wisdom that comes with time will make the Mark IV easier to deal with this time around.

You answered your own question, Stiletto Ace.

• Members

I am a huge fan of the Mark IV (currently own one). From what you described I would say the Stiletto would be right up your alley. I would go with the Stage II version. It is a great amp. If I ever have the urge to go the "Marshall" route the Stiletto is at the top of my list.

• Members

I love the MK series (I own a MKIII) but since you already had a MKIV in the past and it didn't work for you, well that's your answer right there.

The Stiletto is a really great sounding amp anyway.

You could also sell your amp get a Marshall DSL50 and have some cash left for other stuff.

• Members
I love the MK series (I own a MKIII) but since you already had a MKIV in the past and it didn't work for you, well that's your answer right there.

The Stiletto is a really great sounding amp anyway.

You could also sell your amp get a Marshall DSL50 and have some cash left for other stuff.

And the DSL 50 is a better sounding amp.:thu:

• Members

Thanks for the input so far.

A DSL 50? Really? I'll have to check into this. The thing is I really want a combo. I was checking out the DSL 401s for a while but heard about the reliability issues and I would really like a decent clean channel.

As for the Mark IV, you guys are probably right. I loved the sound of it, but just remember constantly tweaking the thing thinking that a "better" sound must be just one more tube swap, pull pot, or knob twist away. Too many options. Plus, I think most of us just find a sound we like and stick with it, so I'd rather have that sound right off the bat vs. having to take weeks to find it, then be constantly tempted to "make it better".

• Members

Thanks for the input so far.

A DSL 50? Really? I'll have to check into this. The thing is I really want a combo. I was checking out the DSL 401s for a while but heard about the reliability issues and I would really like a decent clean channel.

oh I didn't know you wanted a combo. The DSL combos are not so good. But a head and a 2x12 would not be much different in terms of portability etc..

The DSL 50 has a really great clean channel, best I've ever heard from a Marshall.

• Members

oh I didn't know you wanted a combo. The DSL combos are not so good. But a head and a 2x12 would not be much different in terms of portability etc..

The DSL 50 has a really great clean channel, best I've ever heard from a Marshall.

+1

Archived