Duncan Distortion sh6 vs. Duncan Custom SH5

xmorgan socialx

• Members

That's what they show, and that's why I installed a Distortion yesterday... (I've got over 70s guitars here... but no Duncan Distortion), so I put one in. Much like how they claim the Screaming Demon is a bright pickup, but it also doesn't have the highs. I've got a couple guitars with Duncan Customs, and the Alnico 5 give it tons of high mids.

Yeah there are three production Custom models. They differ in their magnets. A2, A5, Ceramic. The AlNiCo 5 one is bassy and trebly like a neck pickup but with higher output. I find this to be the least useful pickup ever made.

I think a lot of people quote the Seymour Duncan pickups based on the websites' descriptions however sometimes the descriptions may not be interpreted by the reader in the same way as the writer intended, and the writer may have been on crack at the time anyway. I think this is why they have the sound bytes on the Seymour Duncan site and I have found if I listen to those I get a better idea but it's still not very comprehensive. So then they have the B/M/T, magnet type, and resonant frequencies. If all this is not enough then they have the Seymour Duncan forum.

The problem I have is that often the general consensus on the SD forum regarding different model pickups doesn't match up to my real world experience of what the different models actually sound like.

As an example forumites always say of the SH-11 Custom Custom that is has lots of mids and in the same sentence they say that the Gibson 498T is too bright. I think they are on crack as well. When I listen to the two pickups the CC has heaps of treble and if anything was going to be called too bright it's the CC not the 498T since the CC has lots more treble than the 498T (obviously a culture of ignorant Gibson bashing by the SD police :cop:). On the website it has B/M/T of 3/7/7 which accurately reflects what I hear when I compare the two pickups in the same guitar.

• Members

With everything said so far, I just have to add fuel to the fire...

What about the Alternative 8? Supposedly a Custom with an Alnico 8 magnet...

Lows similar to a ceramic magnet, more midrange & output, less brittle top than a ceramic... as I have heard it described...

However, I have not yet found a clip of the thing... Any experienced opinions here on it?

• Members

Lows similar to a ceramic magnet, more midrange & output, less brittle top than a ceramic... as I have heard it described...

However, I have not yet found a clip of the thing... Any experienced opinions here on it?

the alternative 8 os nothing like the custom

it seems to be a lot higher output

but the custom works really well with alnico 8 magnet

a very similar voicing to my bare knuckle holy diver, but not as clear

• Members

I havent tried a Distortion in years, and I remember it being too thick and muddy.

But, Id like to try it again in a thinner guitar. Id like to try a custom also.

I need to just buy up like 15 different pickups to have around :o

• Members

I've been looking at this as well. I just bought a Custom Custom, but am thinking I might like the Alt 8 better.

• Members

I have both.

The SH6 sounds amazing in my strat, not to muddy at all (unless to much gain).

I use it a LOT for rhythm.

I use a SH5 in a les paul copy and it compliments that well too.

Both are good pickups but the SH6 just wins in my opinion. I also use it for a more rock, punk sound it can be used for that or metal very well.

Archived