Chuck Berry is being a jerk

rdm

• Members

Yeah, Ike was important... that's why we all sit around singing all the Ike Turner hits that have become part of the cultural lexicon...

Ike Turner couldn't shine Chuck Berry's shoes... if you need proof, go look up the lyrics to ''Downbound Train"

Did Chuck write those lyrics? Or did Johnnie Johnson? :poke:

And besides importance not necessarily equals popularity.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the trite and tired old argument of "You wouldn't have X if you didn't have Y".

With Chuck, he was notoriously influenced by T-Bone Walker, who in turn took his peerage from Blind Lemon Jefferson.

Ike Turner is often credited with releasing the first rock n roll record and coining the term rock n roll, but minimal research into this claim will reveal that its BS!

• Members
Yeah, I understand te point of his post, asshole. My opinion is that Johnson is still more relevant than Berry, and that more importantly in the context of this thread, that Berry has no right to be an asshole.

So how about you and the rest of the Berry sheep go {censored} yourself? You internet toughguys are so quick to hand out insults when you sit behind the comfort zone of your keyboard. I didn't start of insulting any of you, yet you all felt the need to do so.

Polish Berry's dick? I don't think so, you guys are already doing a fine job of that on your own
:thu:

BTW, this is what I am basing my OPINION off of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_(musician
)

Ha, yes. Perhaps we should all base our opinions on Wikipedia, and the opinions of OTHER people. That way we don't have to worry about silly things like facts.

• Members

Did Chuck write those lyrics? Or did Johnnie Johnson? :poke:

And besides importance not necessarily equals popularity.

Johnnie Johnson was an unreliable drunk... hence, Chuck using local bands and touring alone...

• Members

Ha, yes. Perhaps we should all base our opinions on Wikipedia, and the opinions of OTHER people. That way we don't have to worry about silly things like facts.

The Wikipedia page had more information backing {censored} than you do. What have you constructively said in this thread other than call me names, and say:

Jesus Christ. Please stop showing your ignorance.

You're the {censored}ing moron.

And how can you can who's more influential, and call that a fact? It's all opinions, dip{censored}. No one took a scientific poll.

Really quite amazing that you're retarded enough to think that Berry was more influential than Robert Johnson though.

• Members

The Wikipedia page had more information backing {censored} than you do. What have you constructively said in this thread other than call me names, and say:

And how can you can who's more influential, and call that a fact? It's all opinions, dip{censored}. No one took a scientific poll.

How much blues do you listen to? More precisely, how much pre-war blues do you listen to? Name some names.

As far as Eric Clapton saying that Robert Johnson is the most important bluesman in history is a testament to Eric's well founded status as a rabid fanboy.

• Members

I'm calling you names because it's almost impossible NOT to. To say that Chuck Berry is not relevant anymore you've got to be the most obtuse mother{censored}er in the world.

His lyricism, his guitar, he changed the face of rock n' roll. His songs a quite a huge leap from Robert Johnson. Not only that, he didn't have to be white to make it big. For his day to rival people like Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis, that says quite a bit.

Turn on the radio, man. Unless it's a classic rock station playing SRV you're going to be hearing Chucks influence either directly or indirectly all over the place, rather than Robert Johnson.

Also it can be said that he was the prototypical rock guitar god. The 80's guitar heroes owe him a great debt, what with his crazy showmanship and for the day, mindblowing rock solos.

• Members

How much blues do you listen to? More precisely, how much pre-war blues do you listen to? Name some names.

As far as Eric Clapton saying that Robert Johnson is the most important bluesman in history is a testament to Eric's well founded status as a rabid fanboy.

Seriously, what does it matter? You don't agree with me, I don't agree with you.

My opinion is this:

A. Robert Johnson was more influential than Berry is/was.

B. Chuck Berry has no right to treat other people like {censored}.

I'm done here.

• Members

Seriously, what does it matter? You don't agree with me, I don't agree with you.

My opinion is this:

A. Robert Johnson was more influential than Berry is/was.

B. Chuck Berry has no right to treat other people like {censored}.

I'm done here.

Dude, even your pathetic little Wiki thing doesn't back you up. Clapton states that he's the most influential BLUES musician of all time. Nobody is making that claim about Chuck Berry.

Further it states that he could be called the GRANDfather of rock n' roll, meaning not a direct influence, but a more distant one.

Oh, and since you seem to think Wiki is so infallible, have a look at this quote from Chuck's :

"Chuck Berry is an influential figure and one of the pioneers of rock and roll music. According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's website, "While no individual can be said to have invented rock and roll, Chuck Berry comes the closest of any single figure to being the one who put all the essential pieces together."[1] Cub Koda wrote, "Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers."[2] John Lennon was more succinct: "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."[3]"

"

Do you see, yet, why you're a moron?

• Members

Also it can be said that he was the prototypical rock guitar god. The 80's guitar heroes owe him a great debt, what with his crazy showmanship and for the day, mindblowing rock solos.[/QUOTE]

Waht?are you kidding me, the only way I can comprehend this statement is if you just started playing guitar last weekend, otherwise I'm at a total loss.

• Members

I'm calling you names because it's almost impossible NOT to. To say that Chuck Berry is not relevant anymore you've got to be the most obtuse mother{censored}er in the world.

His lyricism, his guitar, he changed the face of rock n' roll. His songs a quite a huge leap from Robert Johnson. Not only that, he didn't have to be white to make it big. For his day to rival people like Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis, that says quite a bit.

Turn on the radio, man. Unless it's a classic rock station playing SRV you're going to be hearing Chucks influence either directly or indirectly all over the place, rather than Robert Johnson.

Also it can be said that he was the prototypical rock guitar god. The 80's guitar heroes owe him a great debt, what with his crazy showmanship and for the day, mindblowing rock solos.

+1

Add to the fray:

[YOUTUBE]AlSuMW3Md6U[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

When was this taken?

Does Chuck Berry even age at all. I think someone made a pact with the devil or something. He looks the same to me as he did 30 flipping years ago.

I liked what Keith (the most under rated guitarist of all time IMO), was trying to do better than CBs version.

What a control freak. Truth is Berry can't play the song any other way. :)

• Members

Waht?
are you kidding me, the only way I can comprehend this statement is if you just started playing guitar last weekend, otherwise I'm at a total loss.

Chuck could play a mad solo

[YOUTUBE]6ofD9t_sULM[/YOUTUBE]

But Buddy Guy out did him (at a later point in time in a more blues oriented setting[Chuck's music is heavily oriented towards country music])

• Members

Dude. Chuck has way more street cred. Arrested and convicted of Armed Robbery when he was 18. Chuck would lay the smack down.

Well that certainly changes my opinion of him. Now I think he is a mediocre (at best) guitar player with a lousy and grating voice who got lucky with a few early rock and roll riffs that he probably learned from one of the blues guys and just changed the tempo AND a bank robber.

Lovely.

• Members

He's not even really messing it up... Chuck is just calling him out for playing HIS lead... He's trying to make Keith look like a dimwit.. Is is an A*hole move and NO no one has the right to be an A*hole..

That said, Chuck Berry is the most underrated lyricist in rock history...

Your wrong...... Keef was royally {censored}ing up the riffage.

• Members

Well that certainly changes my opinion of him. Now I think he is a mediocre (at best) guitar player with a lousy and grating voice who got lucky with a few early rock and roll riffs that he probably learned from one of the blues guys and just changed the tempo AND a bank robber.

Lovely.

Son House killed a man. Leadbelly killed a man. R.L. Burnside killed a man. They used this to draw from in order to fuel their music. Berry did the same thing. And I never said he was a bank robber. Just an armed robber. He also served his time (he spent 3 years in the pen.)

I don't know what you would qualify as being good, so It's not like I can refute the quality of his music within the context of your listening palette.

• Members

Waht?
are you kidding me, the only way I can comprehend this statement is if you just started playing guitar last weekend, otherwise I'm at a total loss.

Listen to rock n' roll playing of his contempories. His soloing, while not on par of the jazz musicians of the time was new and exciting, I did use the qualifier "for the day", if you didn't notice. Chuck was one of the first people to use an unwound G string to get that sweet double stop bend sound. That right there was an innovation.

People take this {censored} for granted, but without him you would not have the rock guitar vocabulary we have today. And taking it for granted is the absolute reason there are people obtuse enough to say that Chuck Berry is not relevant.

Archived