basson cabs

Alchemist

• Members
MDF is MDF, screws and glue are screws and glue. I mean unless he's got magic MDF that somehow is unlike all other mdf in the world.

I'm not saying they can't be well made, there are tons of home speakers out there and sub boxes that are well made, but the material is still limited by it's nature. It's {censored}ing sawdust mixed with adhesive for Christ's sake, and guess what, as such it has a pronounced tendency to crumble.
:idea:

I'd take a similar sized well made birch cab over it any day of the week.
:wave:

dude are you sure you're not thinking of particle board? particle board and mdf are not the same...

• Members

dude are you sure you're not thinking of particle board? particle board and mdf are not the same...

It's wood reduced to pulp, & mixed with wax and resin. :wave:

Drawbacks of MDF:

* Heavier than plywood or chipboard (the resins are heavy)

* Swells and breaks when waterlogged

* May warp or expand if not sealed

* Contains urea-formaldehyde which may cause eye and lung irritation when cutting and sanding

* Dulls blades more quickly than many woods

* Though it doesn't have a grain in the plane of the board, it does have one into the board. Screwing into the edge of a board will generally cause it to split in a fashion similar to delaminating.

* Subject to significant shrinkage in low humidity environments.

• Members

It's wood reduced to pulp, & mixed with wax and resin.
:wave:

Drawbacks of MDF:

* Heavier than plywood or chipboard (the resins are heavy)

* Swells and breaks when waterlogged

* May warp or expand if not sealed

* Contains urea-formaldehyde which may cause eye and lung irritation when cutting and sanding

* Dulls blades more quickly than many woods

* Though it doesn't have a grain in the plane of the board, it does have one into the board. Screwing into the edge of a board will generally cause it to split in a fashion similar to delaminating.

* Subject to significant shrinkage in low humidity environments.

Man if you don't like them, you don't like them. But you aren't gonna convince people that do like them that they're bad cabinets.

• Members
Man if you don't like them, you don't like them. But you aren't gonna convince people that do like them that they're bad cabinets.

That was never my intention. I mentioned the drawbacks of mdf construction to the OP as something he might want to think about when making his decision. After that every Basson fan decided to try and tell me that mdf doesn't act like mdf when stressed in some way, like Basson has this special magical matrix that makes the laws of physics not apply to his cabs.

So I c&p'd the drawbacks of mdf so that they could no longer say I was talking out of my ass, and didn't understand what the {censored} I was talking about. :wave:

• Members

i use one all te time... i gig constantly and this thing has been dragged.. dropped on stairs... fallen out of trucks... spilled liquids and pushed like there is no tommorow and the damn thing is still going strong... i would say best bang for your buck... i have a krank cab and it doesnt compare to the tone coming out of this thing...

Archived