Rockerverb 50 versus Tiny terror (all with attenuator)

danuniversal

• Members

If you use an attenuator (to get low volumes without losing amplifier tone), do you prefer the rockerverb or the tiny terror?

Does the tiny terror have an unique tone to compete with other legendary/famous amps (marshall 1959slp, orange rockerverb 50, marshall jcm800, vox ac30...)?

• Members

Well -- the TT is a single channel amp that's really just made for overdrive/distortion. The RV50 is two channel, more versatile obviously and more expensive. So, you first have to ask yourself "do I need a clean channel, and do I want to spend roughly a grand more".

Tonally (dirt-wise) the two are similar, but 2xEL84 vs 4x6v6 does make a difference. The RV50 also has an extra gain stage, more power and headroom, reverb. Not sure how either sound with an attenuator.

Also -- I wouldn't put the RV50 in the same category as an AC30, 1959slp, etc. Not even close to being legendary or even famous for that matter.

• Members

Well Rockoverbs and TT shouldnt be in the same category..

What do you want?

If you want a single channel and runs a good boost and EQ

Go the TT for home use..

I dont like the RV anyways

I kinda liked the TT tho.

Boost with a DS-1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You don't really need an attenuator with either of these amps... especially not the TT. The Rockerverb 50 has a great master volume on the dirty side of things so unless you would like to push the clean channel into overdrive (which is glorious BTW)... you have no need for an attenuator.

The TT is a one trick pony that does one trick extremely well. The RV50 is an extremely versitile amp that does everything well... but no one thing extremely well.

• Members

thunderverb 50: best of both worlds. i love mine. built in attenuator, EL34s if you are looking for the brittish tone (ala TT) but with all the features (ala rockerverb). best amp i have ever played.

mine with my SG:

orangeandsg.jpg

That is a {censored}ing HOT sg.

Archived