Randall RH200 - Opinion?

MattACaster

• Members

It's a Randall. That's about all I should have to say, but I'll say a bit more.

The cleans aren't really special in any sort of way, but they're clean and they don't sound bad. The dirt is incredible, and not fizzy at all. It's kind of naturally scooped sounding, but it's chunky and bright.

The settings I used on the one I played were (in numbers, not o'clock) gain: 5 or so, not really sure. Bass: 7 Mids: 8 Treble: 9 Contour 8 on gain 2.

• Members

It's a Randall. That's about all I should have to say, but I'll say a bit more.

The cleans aren't really special in any sort of way, but they're clean and they don't sound bad. The dirt is incredible, and not fizzy at all. It's kind of naturally scooped sounding, but it's chunky and bright.

The settings I used on the one I played were (in numbers, not o'clock) gain: 5 or so, not really sure. Bass: 7 Mids: 8 Treble: 9 Contour 8 on gain 2.

Thanks for the info!

I've recently been thinking that I'd be cool to add a Randall to the collection. I don't have anything like it right now and it seems like it's make a good cheap backup head.

• Members

Anyone here tried/own a Randall RH200? Opinions?

I had one long enough for it to take a {censored} on me. In my opinion there are better options for a back-up, but, you'll ultimately be the judge if/when you try one out. I know that a certain amount of them had some bugs...

IMO if you're going for REAL Randall type tones, go for a RG100/200ES or Century.

• Members

Ive got a used one in the shop right now. Tons of gain and almost impossible to get un-scooped. The cleans are good though. Its definately easy to dial in a Dimebag-ish tone though. Ill sell it cheap if youre interested. PM me.

I didn't think the one I played had enough treble for Dimebag-ish tones? :confused:

• Members

I had one long enough for it to take a shit on me. In my opinion there are better options for a back-up, but, you'll ultimately be the judge if/when you try one out. I know that a certain amount of them had some bugs...

IMO if you're going for REAL Randall type tones, go for a RG100/200ES or Century.

Any old Randall does the REAL Randall tone, not just the heads. :p

• Members

Depends which one - G1 or G2. The G1 (or rather, Pre-G2) amps are pretty awesome, because they sound so aggressive without being too bright or scratchy - the G2's I've played so far are a bit too ice-picky, IMO. The G3s are too warm, and the G1s are perfect...

So if it's a G1 (or rather not a G2), go for it... if it's a G2, make sure you play it before buying, because you may be disappointed ;)...

• Members

Depends which one - G1 or G2. The G1 (or rather, Pre-G2) amps are pretty awesome, because they sound so aggressive without being too bright or scratchy - the G2's I've played so far are a bit too ice-picky, IMO. The G3s are too warm, and the G1s are perfect...

So if it's a G1 (or rather not a G2), go for it... if it's a G2, make sure you play it before buying, because you may be disappointed
;)

The one I played was a G2 and it wasn't really icepicky... more grindy if anything. The G3's are all bass, and the G3+ are basically G1's with VD (yes, VD, the disease. No you fuckwit, Valve-Dynamic)

Archived