Using a fan on a tube amp??

LA-Ü-RA

• Members
Caps have ratings up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. If your amp is a hybrid containing solid state chips and tubes' date=' heat can be a concern because those components normally operate with lower voltages and lower temps and may fail due to high temps, but a standard amp 100W or less isn't going to have issues.[/quote']

400F???? 85C is the standard upper temp rating for ceramic capacitors, which is 185F. X7 or mil spec B gets you to 125C/257F. The highest rating I've ever seen is Mil spec C, which is 150C/300F. Electrolytics (power supply filter caps) generally don't go anywhere near that high (85C standard, some available at 105C), and they are the ones that a fan can help protect.

Totally agree, though that hybrids are where the biggest risk is, due to the mix of component types.

• Members

Sorry bout that. I must have used a bum on line calculator to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

The point that you don't need a fan for most amps is still valid however. You need quite a few power tubs going before heat becomes an issue. I haven't seen many fans in amps rated for less then 100W.

Archived