Cone Cry and Vintage 30's

surfcat

• Members

My Marshall Jcm800 1x12 combo has a V30 in it and it has that octave-down cone cry deal at the upper frets. What's a good replacement that's less likely to do this? I'm thinking of a Warehouse G12-65 copy-similar to what came in it, but I don't know how they sound compared to the V30 or if it's less prone to cry. Anyone have experience with Warehouse speakers in regard to cone cry or that can just compare what it might sound like compared to a V30? Seems V30's are prone to it from my research which is why I'm steering clear of them.

Oh, and the Eminence Tone Spotter is also supposed to be a G12-65 type speaker, so any thoughts on those or other recommendations are welcome.

• Members

it's this irritating 'doubling' of notes that sounds like something is broken... you hear the fundamental, and you also hear this other, {censored}ty, distorted version of the note that makes you want to take large heavy objects and toss them at your amp...

• Members

any time i ever got a celestion to hit cone cry, i dropped the gain a touch, and it went away. used to hit it with a g12m70.. but only when i really drove the piss out of the front end!

Mine will do it with the amp totally clean. Gets worse as the volume goes up.

• Members

it's this irritating 'doubling' of notes that sounds like something is broken... you hear the fundamental, and you also hear this other, {censored}ty, distorted version of the note that makes you want to take large heavy objects and toss them at your amp...

Pretty much-it's also an exactly an octave down, and only when played high on the neck on the first 2 strings.

• Members

Hmm... not sure. It may be worth trying a Warehouse version of the same speaker. I hadn't really read any complaints about that before, though.

I'm a little scared to try their V30 version just because I've read the Celestion is so prone and I have 2 that will do it-I plugged into my other amp's speaker. I've tried a 4x12 and didn't hear it and a 2x12 that allowed both or just one speaker to be used and with one speaker it didn't do it but with both, there was some on just one note. I need to find a good speaker that is really resistant to it.

• Members

What a coincedence. Could it be this? I had the exact problem and the below thread cured it for me.

Similar problem-I replied to that thread just now describing what my tech told me-if you play an ascending scale and the ghost notes go down as you play, it's filtering, if it's an octave down doubling of your note, it's cone cry. Which problem were you having? Either I have cone cry or I need a new tech.

Archived