Valveking or Windsor studio

Knottyhed

• Members

I'm looking for a cheap, versatile all tube combo amp between 15 and 30 watts... there seems to be alot of love for the Valveking, but I'm really tempted by the Windsor studio because it has some incredible features for the money. I'm probably going to have to order either online without trying them because I can't seem to find a single store round here that stocks either!

Opinions please?

• Members

spidervalve

Yeh - I was thinking about that too. Some very mixed views on that, some people say it sounds just like the Spider III, some say it's in a different league and alot of people seem to think that using a POD X3 into a valve amp is a better bet. Either way it's probably more than I need, I want good clean/crunch tones and a good saturated lead tone... that's pretty much it.

In so far as you can tell anything from YouTube videos the Valve King looks to have what I'm after, but I can't help but get excited at the tube swopping and power attenuator features of the Windsor.

Actually I'm more fussed about size than wattage (thinking about it I don't think there is a 30watt valve king!?), basically I want a 1x12" combo that'll cut it for rehearsals and small gigs. I need something alot more portable than what I'm currently using and I don't want to spend the earth. Ideally I'd also like an amp I can use at bedroom volumes, but that's not essential.

So far I'm swaying towards the valve king or the windsor studio, although I've also thought about the Peavey Classic and Laney LC30 both of which seem to be very well respected.

I've also thought about going crazy, selling my existing amp collection and maybe buying something a little more upmarket like a Cornford Roadhouse or Mesa 5:25 or Mesa F30.

Again, my real problem is the crapness of my local music stores - so I can't really go try and compare all these options.

• Members

I would choose almost any amp over a Valveking or a Windsor. Not because they are really bad. Just because they are not really good. The Cornford suggestion from your post above, now THAT's getting a decent amp. Don't waste your money. Buy nice the first time so you won't have to worry about upgrading and unloading (selling) your old stuff later. I would get a Windsor before a Valveking though. I simply despise that tone.

Archived