Finish on Les Pauls??

Celik

• Members

Sup guys,

I was at GC yesturday and i got a chance to play a 2008 LP standard. I liked the new additions they have added to the 08's, but after playing the guitar i think i know why i have allways had hard time with the feel of the neck. It's the finish that Gibson uses, when i slide back and forth on the neck my hand dosnt slide smothly like it dose on my strat.

I love the tone of the LP but is there a way you can get these without that finish on the neck without breaking the bank? :confused:

• Members

an ESP eclipse does not sound like a LP at all, and the edwards are a bitch to get shipped over, and for the money after shipping, a used standard is not too much more.

I say, stick with gibson, but look up and see how hard it would be to sand off the clear coat, and apply a satin finish

• Members
an ESP eclipse does not sound like a LP at all, and the edwards are a bitch to get shipped over, and for the money after shipping, a used standard is not too much more.

I say, stick with gibson, but look up and see how hard it would be to sand off the clear coat, and apply a satin finish

:rolleyes:

search Edwards LP craigslist on google, on evilbay or even here in the forum there was a nice Edwards LP custom for $800 shipped wich is pretty close to a Gigson LP Standard.

• Members

Part of the charm of playing a LP is that they are NOT easy players. They fight you tooth and nail every step of the way. Their necks are slow, their bodies dig into your flesh, and they make you really strain to get to the upper notes.

That's the point. That's what makes them raunchy.

The necks get faster the more you play them. The nitro wears in over time and eventually off. You can sand them if you really feel the need.

-W

• Members

Part of the charm of playing a LP is that they are NOT easy players. They fight you tooth and nail every step of the way. Their necks are slow, their bodies dig into your flesh, and they make you really strain to get to the upper notes.

That's the point. That's what makes them raunchy.

The necks get faster the more you play them. The nitro wears in over time and eventually off. You can sand them if you really feel the need.

-W

You forgot:

They weigh a metric ton, and continuous playing has been known to lead to nicknames of "Quasimoto." (FTR, I love LPs. Mine's a standard)

• Members
:rolleyes:

search Edwards LP craigslist on google, on evilbay or even here in the forum there was a nice Edwards LP custom for $800 shipped wich is pretty close to a Gigson LP Standard.

the ones I was looking at were around a grand, with a minimum hundred dollar shipping, then look at used gibby prices, add on a few more benjamins, and you can get the real thing :poke:

• Members
the ones I was looking at were around a grand, with a minimum hundred dollar shipping, then look at used gibby prices, add on a few more benjamins, and you can get the real thing :poke:

Yep but the OP asked if there's something similar to the Gibbys without breaking the bank :thu::poke:

• Members

Nitro is sticky. It dissolves under hand sweat easily compared to poly finish...which is more like plastic. Probably because it's a volatile, unstable molecule.

My favorite finish for musical instruments is shellac.

Yah its definitly sticky, thats what i didnt like. Its like my hand could freely move back and forth.

Archived