To those that recommended the 5751 in the V1...

K-Bizzle

• Members

On an amp with not as much gain, the overall sound will just be weak. I know cos' I have a JanGE5751 and I used it in V1 of my Legacy and the amp just sounded like diarrhea. Weak and flabby

I was wondering about this. My Stiletto is by no means a gain monster (I have an early one, pre-Stage II) so I suppose a 5751 isn't worth my time? I have it set up for mid-gain crunch and slam the front end with a dirt pedal for high gain.

Though V2 is the first gain stage for the Red channel mode I use, so maybe it would be passable in V1 for cleans on the Blue channel. But I do like a bit of grit in my cleans, so maybe not? :confused:

• Members

I was wondering about this. My Stiletto is by no means a gain monster (I have an early one, pre-Stage II) so I suppose a 5751 isn't worth my time? I have it set up for mid-gain crunch and slam the front end with a dirt pedal for high gain.

Though V2 is the first gain stage for the Red channel mode I use, so maybe it would be passable in V1 for cleans on the Blue channel. But I do like a bit of grit in my cleans, so maybe not?
:confused:

honestly there seem to be a lot of different opinions depending on the amp.

If I were you I'd just pick up one or two and move it around different positions and see how you like it.

• Members

Though V2 is the first gain stage for the Red channel mode I use, so maybe it would be passable in V1 for cleans on the Blue channel. But I do like a bit of grit in my cleans, so maybe not?
:confused:

hard to say without trying it! i tried it in both the v1 and v2 of my mesa. also tried a 12au7-- but it really dried it out. could have been any number of factors, though. i can't even PRETEND to know much about the stilletto and how it works-- because it's definitely a bird of a different color than my amp.. but it's a $20 experiment. i ultimately put that JAN 5751 in my hifi amp where it sounds GREAT as a first gain stage!

Archived