To those that recommended the 5751 in the V1...

K-Bizzle

• Members

Thank you, I love it in both my amps.

Really helps the clean tones and made the amp overall less fizzy than the 12AX7 without getting the trebly coldness of the 12AT7 (though I still recommend that in the PI position).

From here (probably) on out all my amps will be rock a 5751 in the V1 (driver position on the RM100) and a JAN 12AT7 in the PI position.

Something not to try:

12BZ7:rolleyes:

It was alright in the PI position but terrible in any of the tone positions.

• Members

Its a great tube i liked it in my 6505 and my savage now. Does tame some fizz but makes the gain a tad more usuable..

exactly.

I had a hard time getting my dirt channels balanced right before.

Without the TS-808 it would be to flubby, with it it was to fizzy.

Now I've got it the tightness and no fuzz, very happy about it.

• Members

I would like to try the jan12AT7 for the PI since i like the jan5751 so much in v1..

DO IT.

Thats what I'm running.

I've tried GE, JAN, and JJ 12AT7s. (have 2 of each)

I liked the JANs the best without a doubt.

Can't put my finger on exactly why (clarity maybe?), but its the best sounding of the bunch.

• Members
Like which ones?

Its great in both of mine, why do you think it doesn't sound good in other amps?

Too weak?

The only one I have right now is a NOS Sylvania. It just dulls out my Mesa and my GD too much. Takes away the responsiveness. Much prefer a Tungsol 12ax7 in those two amps.

• Members

The only one I have right now is a NOS Sylvania. It just dulls out my Mesa and my GD too much. Takes away the responsiveness. Much prefer a Tungsol 12ax7 in those two amps.

Interesting.

Well I have yet to compare different brand 5751s so maybe that has something to do with it. (mine are labeled Tung-Sol)

• Members

The 5751 is a lower gain tube than an AX7 so it may very well work wonder on amps with OTT gain like the Savage or Recto's.

On an amp with not as much gain, the overall sound will just be weak. I know cos' I have a JanGE5751 and I used it in V1 of my Legacy and the amp just sounded like diarrhea. Weak and flabby

• Members

The 5751 is a lower gain tube than an AX7 so it may very well work wonder on amps with OTT gain like the Savage or Recto's.

On an amp with not as much gain, the overall sound will just be weak. I know cos' I have a JanGE5751 and I used it in V1 of my Legacy and the amp just sounded like diarrhea. Weak and flabby

EDIT

nevermind. OTT = over the top (i'm assuming)

I tested this primarily on the Bugera (because tubes are really my only way to improve the basic sound, on the randall I've got different modules and mods to said modules to try).

But yeah stock I think it had WAY to much gain, totally unusable amounts of gain in fact.

It also didn't help that the clean channel had no gain knob yet was to gain with any of my guitars.

This definitely made an improvement most likely due to the overabundance of gain.

• Members

Ive heard the 12bz7's can sound decent in
some
amps. Im not sure what kind of circuit they are best matched up with though.

Like I said it sounded alright in the PI spot, it was terrible everywhere else.

Reading the technical specs of them kind of turned me off in general.

• Members

never heard of a 12bz7 before.

but yeah! low gain tubes in the v1 of a high gain amp=win!

i've been saying it for years!

I won an auction on a bunch of tubes and there was one in there, so I looked up the specs to make sure it was swappable and gave it a try.

Theres really no reason to ever try it.

• Members

i'm psyched it worked for ya.. i was sad when you said you were running an AT in the v1!

5751's seem to work well in clean fenders for clarity, and in some high gainers. my mesa DIDN'T like a 5751 in the number one spot either-- it just lost all it's harmonic juice.. it calmed it down.. but TOO much. but it ain't a high gainer.. i run it on like 2.5 for the preamp gain...

psyched! the taming of the bug!

• Members

i'm psyched it worked for ya.. i was sad when you said you were running an AT in the v1!

5751's seem to work well in clean fenders for clarity, and in some high gainers. my mesa DIDN'T like a 5751 in the number one spot either-- it just lost all it's harmonic juice.. it calmed it down.. but TOO much. but it ain't a high gainer.. i run it on like 2.5 for the preamp gain...

psyched! the taming of the bug!

Ha well I tried an AT7 in the V1 on the Bugera, but quickly swapped it back out.

On the Randall I did prefer the AT7 over the stock EH AX7 on the input driver, but I think the 5751 thats in there now sounds much better.

I've still yet to toy with different tubes in the V1/V2 positions on the modules, but thats partially because I'm still modding/swapping modules.

Once I get the Recto totally modded and a 1086, then i can start playing with the V1/V2 in each of those.

• Members

I have a modified 100 watt stack, in V1 & V2 I have NOS Mullards in spots V3 & V4 I have JAN GE 5751's and it sounds awesome, but the 5751's don't sound very good in V1 or V2, if I use all 4 Mullards it's to fizzy/distorted. I can get any Marshall/Mesa sound. I drive my PI w/a NOS Mullard as well,which goes to show you every amp is different and to use what works best.:cop:

Archived