Gigging with a puny SS amp

inu

• Members

So, yesterday, my band had a gig, opening for an american band currently touring Europe. There was another (local) band opening the show that was taking place at about 1h drive from where I live.

In the early afternoon, the american band called the organizer asking if they could borrow a Marshall 100watt head or a Fender Bassman from someone (their Marshall head having a problem). I answered that I could bring my (bulky) Laney head instead of the Tiny Terror and 1x12 I planned to bring if I could borrow one of their 4x12... so I should still have enough room in the car to put everything.

A few hour later, they answered that they had their amp repaired in the meantime but that I could use their 4x12 anyway. I thought "cool, let's travel light and just bring my TT and no cab" knowing that it just sounds huge on a 4x12.

So, it's the evening. We arrive at the venue and the headliner band isn't there... they've had a problem and will arrive later, skipping their soundcheck. Ok, we're also just doing a linecheck anyway, so if they arrive (and the 4x12) a bit later it could still be ok.

Time passes, the first band had to start playing... still no headliner in sight and no news from them. I start to get stressed as the opening band (2 guitars, post-rock) is playing with a lot of effects on clean amps (Fender Princeton and Roland JC-120) while I am the only guitarist in my band and use very few effects (1 OD and 1 distortion) true a semi-dirty sounding amp. Also, nor the JC-120 nor the Princeton have external connections so that I could only use their speaker with my TT head.

They finished their set, still no headliner in sight, our turn to linecheck... without a cab, the only solution is to borrow an amp from the opening band. I think "f**ck, there are a lot of people here, it's an important gig, I'm used to my sound on one of my nice toob amps (Laney or TT) and I'm going to have to deal with a SS amp I don't know and the lack of dynamics/{censored}ty sound they generaly have" (I have memories of bad ones). So I skip the JC-120 as it's really just not good for crunch and take that little Fender Princeton I've never tried but that, at least, have a dirty channel.

I set up and dial quickly a semi-dirty sound... and, actually, it sounded ok!! :eek: A bit harsh but louder and more dynamic and alive than I would have believed! I tweaked it a bit more and actually found a very decent sound (still a bit harsh though).

So, we started to play and, thru the PA, it rocked and we did a great show!!! I couldn't believe it actually sounded right!

The headlining band arrived just after we started playing but, even though I wouldn't buy one to replace my own, I didn't regret using that little amp...:thu:

Lesson 1: if you have the room, always bring all the stuffs you need

Lesson 2: you don't need a big amp to rock the house!

Lesson 3: I wonder if our quest for "the ultimate toob tonez" is always justified! At least, live:confused:

Lesson 4: more than the gear, it's the playing and attitude that matters on stage... just rock it!!:rawk:

• Members
Lesson 1: if you have the room, always bring all the stuffs you need

Lesson 2: you don't need a big amp to rock the house!

Lesson 3: I wonder if our quest for "the ultimate toob tonez" is always justified! At least, live:confused:

Lesson 4: more than the gear, it's the playing and attitude that matters on stage... just rock it!!
:rawk:

This
This
This
This

Archived