:love: (Guthrie Govan content)

JoshuaLogan

• Members

You're right, Guthrie will never be as great as Yngwie.

I think Guthrie is good, but I cannot get over his nasally tone. How does he make those Cornfords sound so bad?
:freak:

Your clever....but not as insightful as you may think.

I would say that govan has significantly more musical vocabulary at his disposal where as Yngwie always sounds like Paganini doin the blues.

:poke:

• Members

Personally I don't like any of this {censored}, but you can't hate on the talent.

And you can't hate on JoshuaLogan for an opinion...

I like Govan for the simple fact that he represents the possibilities of the guitar are endless...I actually bought his recent album, and like it, but after while I just get tired of it.

Probably because I know I'll never be able to play that well. EVAR.

• Members

I think Guthrie is good, but I cannot get over his nasally tone. How does he make those Cornfords sound so bad?
:freak:

I happen to love Guthrie's tone... especially the kind of tones he was getting in that vid I posted below. I mean he gets like 200 sounds out that one channel, just making adjustments on his guitar, dynamics and playing style... I find it hard to believe that anyone who watches that whole video won't find something amazing in there (and not just from a technical point of view).

That's one of the great things about Guthrie, for me anyway. We've had shredders for decades now who can play a bazillion notes per second and all that... he's one of the very few who can do that AND make it listenable, expressive, entertaining, interesting, and all of that.

• Members

Pretty good, but he's no Yngwie.

I like Yngwie alot, but why does this comparison get made constantly? They are two completely different musicians. If you prefer Yngwie's music, that is fine, but as far as technique and breadth as a musician, it isn't even close. Guthrie flat BLOWS AWAY Yngwie in those categories. Bottom line - Guthrie can easily play anything Yngwie can. Yngwie cannot come close to playing much of what Guthrie plays. Guthrie can play many different styles and has far greater technique. There is no way on earth that Yngwie could play "Fives" for example...

Steve

• Members

Elevator music. JMHO, but extremely boring.

(Cue some idiot saying, "Well could you play it?!" Nope. But that doesn't mean I can't think that listening to it is like watching paint peel.)

Wow, you must have cool elevators wherever you are from ! :p:poke:

:facepalm:

• Members

I'd look like I was pinching a loaf if I attempted to play that song
:lol:

:lol:

I know everything up to the ridiculous tapping lick that starts the improv and I STRUGGLE like hell to play just that with good timing and articulation... It may not sound hard, but, trust me, it is...

Steve

• Members

I have never even attempted it as there are just way too many parts to learn and I would have to sit there and rewind 15 second snippets over and over just to start learning it and that {censored} would take too long.

I can share some tab with you if you'd like... PM me if interested...

Steve

• Members

I think Guthrie is a high functioning autistic or maybe just super eccentric.

Not to take anyway from his amazing playing, but every time I watch him talk I feel like he's going to rape and eat a child.

Wow... what a trip. The times I've met him he's been very nice and quite funny...

Steve

• Members

They are two completely different musicians. If you prefer Yngwie's music, that is fine, but as far as technique and breadth as a musician, it isn't even close. Guthrie flat BLOWS AWAY Yngwie in those categories. Bottom line - Guthrie can easily play anything Yngwie can. Yngwie cannot come close to playing much of what Guthrie plays. Guthrie can play many different styles and has far greater technique. There is no way on earth that Yngwie could play "Fives" for example...

Steve

I agree with all of that, actually. :o Well, with one exception... I, personally, don't think anyone can touch Yngwie's vibrato.

In the end, I can only listen to so much of either one.

• Members

I happen to love Guthrie's tone... especially the kind of tones he was getting in that vid I posted below. I mean he gets like 200 sounds out that one channel, just making adjustments on his guitar, dynamics and playing style... I find it hard to believe that anyone who watches that whole video won't find something amazing in there (and not just from a technical point of view).

That's one of the great things about Guthrie, for me anyway. We've had shredders for decades now who can play a bazillion notes per second and all that... he's one of the very few who can do that AND make it listenable, expressive, entertaining, interesting, and all of that.

You and I are on the same page when it comes to Guthrie... Couldn't have said it better myself...

That said, everyone hears things differently...

Steve

• Members

I agree with all of that, actually.
:o
Well, with one exception... I, personally, don't think anyone can touch Yngwie's vibrato.

In the end, I can only listen to so much of either one.

I'm gonna have to agree on Yngwie's vibrato - truly untouchable...

Steve

Archived