Just bought a Mesa Mark IV

skaaks

• Members

Is it true the head versions seem to sell more than the combo versions? I read that somewhere, but didn't understand why.

The general opinion seems to be that they sound best with a closed back cab (specially for people that are buying them to do heavier stuff), so I think that's why the head is a little more popular. The actual amplifier part of the head and combo sound the exact same...the open back of the combo just cuts down on the bass response quite a bit. A lot of people end up using the combo like a head...plugging it into an extension cab.

• Members

Is it true the head versions seem to sell more than the combo versions? I read that somewhere, but didn't understand why.

Same seems to be often true for amps in general. I agree it sort of doesn't make sense, but I think it's because a head version allows you to easily change speaker cabs and it's more portable, while the combo version is more restricted and cumbersome. Overall I think it's because the head version is seen more as the "real" amp while the combo is more like a specialty. Or at least that's the psychology at work, I think.

Anyway with the Marks it's kind of irrelevant, as you can buy a headshell from Mesa and turn it into the head version, or with the short head combo you can either buy a headshell or buy a rackmount kit and turn it into a head or a rack unit, which is what I did with my first one (now I have the combo).

• Members

I reckon the tone is better overall with the presence pulled out, it's more balanced, even if there is a reduction in volume, which isn't bad anyway because it can be made up for by turning up the Output.

Pushing in the Presence just helps with the 'chunk' at really really low volumes. At higher volumes it's not really necessary.

It's like the "Loudness" switch on older hi-fi stereo systems.

• Members

Woo hoo! Amp and cab showed up today and they're absolutely gorgeous! Hardly a mark on it and a gorgeous grain underneath. Here are some family pics of it along side my old one (recently sold to an HCAF'er). They're the ones on the left and middle.

MesaFamily3.jpg

• Members
Woo hoo! Amp and cab showed up today and they're absolutely gorgeous! Hardly a mark on it and a gorgeous grain underneath. Here are some family pics of it along side my old one (recently sold to an HCAF'er). They're the ones on the left and middle.

MesaFamily3.jpg

Makes me wanna :cry:

-D

• Members

As much as I hate to, I'll probably end up selling the cab and combo shell. I'm going to end up running it through my VHT D412. Talk about :love:. It sounds ungodly. In any case, I can't justify hanging on to such a beautiful shell when most of the time it's just going to be extra weight to lug around. I traded Thinkpad for his rackmount kit, so I think I'll just put it in a rack and call it good. Anyone interested in the cab/shell?

Archived