Guitar Center stupidity... thread #5089

bluesboy

• Members

So over the weekend i stopped by the local GC to see if they had a pickguard for my Epi LP standard. The original one was cream and i switched everything on the guitar to black.

Anywho, I ask the guy behind the counter, "do you have a pickguard for an epiphone les paul? I'm looking for a black one." His response was, "You can check over here by the counter. Im an acoustic player, I don't even know what an epiphone les paul really is"

:facepalm:

im not even lying, i was dumbfounded. Even my fiancee, who knows just about nothing about guitars, knows what a les paul is and what shape it has, etc. This guy works at a guitar store!!!!

• Members

{censored}, if he doesn't know WHAT a Les Paul is, he probably doesn't even know WHO Les Paul is!!!

Chills down my spine...

That's a scary fail!

I get the same feeling when I hear a twenty year old (especially a guitar player) say: "Jimi Hendrix? Who is that?"

Brrrrrrrrrrr!

• Members

did he then try to sell you some Groove Tubes and some extra strings:confused:

actually, in addition to looking for the black pickguard I was looking for something to support my guitar by the neck and elevate the headstock for changing strings and doing other work on my guitar. He said if he hadn't sold one 15 minutes ago, he would've had no idea what i was talking about :idea:

• Members

i recently went into a GC and i found the lack of product knowledge by the staff astounding. As a business owner i would be pissed as all {censored}ing hell that my employees know less that the customers about our products. They need to do weekly apptitude tests in places like that. It is really bad for any business to have employees as inept as that.

• Members

Maybe he was trying to get rid of you so he could go get some lunch or go work on another sale or something like that. Seriously - there's no way the guy doesn't know what an Epi Les Paul is.

no to both of those points, because he was the behind the counter guy, not one of the guys roaming the sales floor, and he was behind the counter the whole time we we're there, at least 30 minutes. And he talked to me for 10 mintues about random stupid crap before I could even get away from HIM. :cry:

• Members

So over the weekend i stopped by the local GC to see if they had a pickguard for my Epi LP standard. The original one was cream and i switched everything on the guitar to black.

Anywho, I ask the guy behind the counter, "do you have a pickguard for an epiphone les paul? I'm looking for a black one." His response was, "You can check over here by the counter. Im an acoustic player, I don't even know what an epiphone les paul really is"

:facepalm:

im not even lying, i was dumbfounded. Even my fiancee, who knows just about nothing about guitars, knows what a les paul is and what shape it has, etc. This guy works at a guitar store!!!!

I'm impressed he anted up his ignorance. Most sales morons will try to wing an answer, ala "I know it all; what I don't know I can fake". :facepalm:

Archived