VTM users help me out

guitarbilly74

• Members

I got a VTM60 today on a trade and I am getting ready to use tomorrow at practice but I'm having an issue with the low end not being tight enough, it sounds a little muddy to me which I know it HAS to be user error since the VTM is normally seen as a bright amp.

MY current settings are pre 5/ low 5 /mid 3/ high 6/ gain 1 and 2 on/presence 6.

I am going to use it for a light crunchy tone with the volume rolled back, a heavy crunch, a lead tone (probably boosted) and the same lead tone with a wha.. these are the four basic tones I use.

So far I was able get the lead tone to sound nice nice and thick but rhythm tones sound mushy.

Any settings you guys could suggest me to try, I know there is a lot of possibilities between the EQ and those switches.. or maybe I need need tubes?? What do you think??

Thanks

Billy

• Members

All micro-switches off except maybe gain 1 and/or gain 2 (depending on how much gain you want).

It definitely wouldn't hurt to put new tubes in it as well.

I usually have the lows on about 7 but I almost always used a boost with it and that tightened it up. Mids would be about 5 or 6 (like a Marshall, that tightens it up as well and adds a bit more bite). Treble about 6 and Presence around 5, I believe.

This is off the top of my head. I haven't played my VTM in a while. I think I'll plug that {censored}er in tomorrow!!!

• Members

ok so I tried an old Phillips 12AX7 on V1 and the amp sounded :love: but unfortunately this is an old tube and it's microphonic :(..

so now I am convinced I need at least a new V1 tube what do you guys suggest?? I have a few JJs here but they did not sound much better than the stock tubes... just a slight improvement..

What are the best preamp tubes for this amp or even for a JCM800 (since this sounds very much like one)??

• Members

hmm based on your settings I think I definitely need new tubes because the lows on 7 makes the amp completely mushy.. and that shouldn't be the case

Well, since I play mostly metal, I use a boost with mine so that tightens up the low end quite a bit as well.

I used Groove Tubes 12ax7's in my VTM120 and liked them.

• Members

Well, since I play mostly metal, I use a boost with mine so that tightens up the low end quite a bit as well.

I used Groove Tubes 12ax7's in my VTM120 and liked them.

I tried to boost with a DS1 and the lead tone sounded awesome but the rhythm is still too muddy

I love Groove Tubes so I might buy a few tomorrow.

• Members

Hey man, just thought of something. There is a plastic looking flat head screw head on the back. I remember a tech showing me how he could adjust that thing and I remember it getting muddy when he turned it one way. He turned it back and the amp cleaned up. You might try messing with that.

• Members

the "hum balance" thing?? let me try to play with that..

hey I also just noticed there is footswitch jack for a boost? how does that work? I don't have a footswitch to try now...

Yeah, that's what it's called. I remember it did muddy up the sound if you turned it too far one way (I think it was clockwise).

Footswitch for a boost? I don't recall that. I'll have to look at my VTM when I get home.

• Members

I have used JJ's in both pre and poweramp. I hated the JJ 12ax7's, especially in V1. I put an EH in V1 and that did the trick. Right now I am running Rubys, and I like them. The boost jack uses a single button bypass pedal that came with my amp from Peavey, or used as a line out. I have always found that if you run the lows too high, the amp gets muddy, but not loose at all. For metal I have always used a 7 band eq in front, in a reverse smiley face shape. Lows around 7, mid 3.5 to 4, high 5 and presence no higher than 5. Gain 1 and 2 up, the rest down. It's definately not a loose amp for sure. And when boosting with an eq pedal, cut the 2 lowest frequencies and it'll tighten up nice, especially with the low-mids boosted.

• Members

My vtm120 has a loose low end. I wouldnt quite say its muddy, as I run the bass around 6-7. Usually I prefer to set the gain low on the vtm, and use a sd-1/808 to tighten the low end if I need it.

+1 on the eq up front. I use almost the same settings as VTM Mike, and its far from muddy/undefined.

• Members

Cool guys thanks.

The amp came with TAD 6L6s in the power amp, which I like, but I believe the preamp tubes are the stock tubes. I need to go tube shopping tomorrow, have anyone tried to use a MESA 12AX7 in V1? I was thinking about going to the MESA store tomorrow and pick one up.

I will try the EQ trick tomorrow morning. I have an EQ in fron of the amp but I was using it as a faux clean channel, lowering the level on the eq so the cleans up... it works really well but I will try it as a boost tomorrow.

• Members

I'm not sure if the Hum Balance alters the tone of the amp. I never checked it on my Triumph 120 so I'll have to mess with it tomorrow. My Triumph sounds a little dark and muddy, too, but the guy I got it from says it has new tubes and transformer. I haven't had the volume past 2 yet so that may be why also ;). It really wakes up my Tonelab, though, as I knew it would. Not quite as good as my Tonelab sounded with a Peavey Ultra, but its still night and day compared to when I fed it to my Peavey XXL. (Yeah, I'm a Peavey Freak:D)

• Members

I love Peavey gear too. They're quickly becoming my favorite amp company.. so many good amps at such low prices!!

anyway, yeah I was playing pretty loud early on today, with the post at 6. With the VTM that is insanely loud, but I have a really nice soundproof room here (and earplugs). It sounded good except that the low end is a little too loose for my taste, I'm almost certain that the problem is the V1 tube because it improved 10x when I put that old Phillips 12AX7 too bad that tube is microphonic :(

• Members

Cool guys thanks.

The amp came with TAD 6L6s in the power amp, which I like, but I believe the preamp tubes are the stock tubes. I need to go tube shopping tomorrow, have anyone tried to use a MESA 12AX7 in V1? I was thinking about going to the MESA store tomorrow and pick one up.

I will try the EQ trick tomorrow morning. I have an EQ in fron of the amp but I was using it as a faux clean channel, lowering the level on the eq so the cleans up... it works really well but I will try it as a boost tomorrow.

What I used to do is for heavy stuff run the eq, if you want cleans, turn it off and use the neck pup with the volume slightly rolled off. Word of warning, with the eq on it will be hissing it's ass off.

• Members

What I used to do is for heavy stuff run the eq, if you want cleans, turn it off and use the neck pup with the volume slightly rolled off. Word of warning, with the eq on it will be hissing it's ass off.

Yeah I have more than one EQ so maybe I can use one for boost and the other for cleans... I will probably use my MXR KFK 10-band for boost.. that's a really quiet unit but I guess the amp will still hiss just with the extra gain....

• Members

Jesus guys-you're talking Groove Tubes and Mesa tubes like those names mean jack {censored}- either could be half a dozen different actual preamp tubes.

And yes, I had a neighbor replace his JJ's for GTs cause he heard they sounded better.

The Groove Tubes were-TA-DA!,,JJs. 2 of the 4 went microphonic in a week.

"Best tested tubes in the Biz!" my dick......

• Members

In my experience, the amp sounded the tightest with Gain 1 switched on, all other switches off.

And the Boost jack isn't for a footswitch - it's a line out for slaving to another amp.

But +1 to a pre-gain EQ - pull the bass out before the gain, and crank it up in the tone stack or FX loop. You can REALLY make the amp tighter this way.

• Members

The boost jack is for a mute footswitch also (read the manual).

JJ's are just back luck in the VTM. I've had 3 of mine go microphonic. Currently using a GT mullard reissue in V1, Shuguang in V2/3, and some random ass unlabled tube in PI spot.

Archived