I hate working at RadioShack.

DharmaSound

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to get a lot of stuff there in the 60's and early 70's. They actually had people who knew what most of the electronic components were and how to use them. They also had some really decent vacuum tubes and a tube tester. But now if you go into a Radio Shack they have next to nothing as far as components and the nit-wits that work there don't know any freaking thing at all. If you want a cell phone or Cell service you will find some GEEK (or GEEK-ET) that can help you, (if you speak some kind of foreign boat language), but that's about it.

• Members
Seriously, between retards getting pissed because they have to pay a deposit to get a new Blackberry because their credit is {censored}ed (which means you dont even need a damn blackberry, you broke ass) and trying to explain how a converter box works to a bunch of elderly people, i want to die. fo real.

im going to have a smoke.

:facepalm:

I don't know man....theres worse jobs. Of course I'd look at radioshack as a job while working on getting a career but as long as you just have a job I'd stick with it.

• Members

I have really good credit. I don't have to pay any deposits on anything. I pay everything on time. My rent, credit card bills, everything. If they had verizon at radio shack I would have went there but they didn't. I actually got my verizon at walmart. I went to a verizon wireless store and the palm centro was a lot of cash. It was 50 bucks at walmart and at the verizon store they wouldn't believe me so i went to walmart and got it.

• Members

I don't know man....theres worse jobs. Of course I'd look at radioshack as a job while working on getting a career but as long as you just have a job I'd stick with it.

yeah, this is pretty much just getting me through school right now (freshman graphic design major), and the only reason im there is because its closer to school, and they agreed to match the pay i got at my old job (at&t store). so i mostly deal with phones, but theres no escaping the barrage of stupid questions.

• Members

Radio shack just doesn't have enough. I understand it's a small electronics store but I mean theres nothing to choose from. If you were to buy a computer you could find the same ones they have there plus like 50 others at best buy. Theres not enough choice. I guess it could be a good place to get satellite tv and at and t cell phones. Or sprint. Although I don't understand sprint. It doesn't have half the coverage areas yet cost about the same.

• Members
I thought you had to be a complete tool to even get hired there.

Any time I go in there asking for some type of electronic component, i'm invariably met with "uhhhh, that stuff's over there" followed by a pointing motion towards the one bin they have that has a few switches and overpriced assortments of resistors and a few packs of LEDs in it.

All Radio Shack employees can tongue my poopy anus.

I worked for RS for about a year, it ranks right up there on my list of worst jobs. Wearing a tie every day sucked too.

Don't hate on the people who work there. RS makes employees walk right up to you and ask what you need. RS makes them ask you for your phone # when all you're buying is batteries. I didn't approach everyone that walked in. If I saw them head right for something I'd leave them alone but I'd catch hell from the manager. After a few months I quit asking for phone numbers for small stuff. Got chewed for that too. I was out of there as soon as I got a chance.

RS still makes most of their $ selling small stuff, like batteries and electronic components. That's how they started, and it's still their bread and butter. No one buys big ticket items there.

An employee who doesn't know where the .01 uF caps are is one who hasn't counted inventory yet. He'll know after that :D.

Dharma, it's gonna get crazy there in next 2 months. :facepalm: Good luck.

• Members

My theory is that most of their profit comes from direct marketing. No you can't have my address just let me buy these batteries and leave.

That was my favorite Radio Shack experience. I needed ONE battery one day, back when they used to get out their pad and pencil and write everything down on an invoice. (I'm old). I was in a big hurry, and at the counter, the guy wouldn't do anything until I gave him my name and complete address. It pissed me off, and I gave him the battery instead.

• Members

Yeah, it's a good place to get adapters and things like that. Occasionally you will see something like a computer for a good price but you just don't have the choices you have elsewhere. I remember this one chick last year at radio shack. One of those walk in store crushes I had. lol

• Members

I've never worked there.

People work on commission??

I look at the staff and think they are just barely a level above Gas Station attendant and working at McDonalds. I don't know why this is so. Some of them may be in engineering college or something. But I don't care. They look like pocket protecting wearing pervs.:cop:

I get depressed before I walk into the door and I have to remind myself to smile at the employees. AND they charge retail for average stuff. No bargains there.

Archived