Band was approached by some music guy after a gig ... advice please!

Fender_Fan

• Members

Hey! Our band Headlined the Barfly last week (The Barfly is probably the second best music venue in my city) and after we played a kick ass set this guy came over to our singer afterwards and asked for his telephone number. So of course he gave him it, our singer said he was a super smart looking guy (but that of course counts for nothing). Two days later our singer gets a phone call from this guys secretary saying he'd like to meet with us in the week! So our singer tells us all and we get back to him and we're going to meet with him on Friday in his office, which is actually in the richer business type part of the city. I'm not expecting it to be anything amazing, the guy introduced himself as a `music director` aha has anyone ever heard of one of them before? I'm just wondering if you guys know of any traps or things these type of people try and do to trick you? I'm very weary of this thinking he might just be out to trick us or steal money from us? I've not experience and not too business savy, I'm 21 so I'm thinking he might think he can trick us with lots of promise etc?

any advice would be great!

thanks!

• Members

Umm if he gives you a contract to sign have a lawyer look at it. Is this a troll? The story seems a little weird.

Anyways, he introduced himself as a music director? He didn't say he was with a label? Maybe he wants you to buy a timeshare.

• Members

Hey, aha it's not a troll thread. Aha yeah I already made the butt sex joke to the rest of the band ;)

Ahaha yeah maybe he does want us to buy a time share. No he didn't mention what label or anything, our singer probably should have asked some more info! But he's probably the most dozey out of all of us.

• Members

Well done for playing the barfly its a nice venue (I am guessing London right)

My advice go along see what has to say and as the others said dont sign anything........
Do not go in his basment
under any circumstances

I wish we'd headlined the London Barfly! It was the Liverpool Barfly! It was still a great gig for us though, we only started giging in March!

• Members

If he makes an offer and says you have to sign it before leaving the office and you're not allowed to consult anyone, then that is some kind of scam.

If they want any money from you up front, then that is a scam.

Let us know what he says, and remember if he makes any big offers, take 48 hours to think it over.

• Members

He probably wants to buy that amazing superbass

Hahaha, you've figured out! ... it wasn't you was it? :eek:

I read that article! that's insane, ahha `new fancy professional guitars $3000` haha wtf. But yeah, I can totaly see how there must be alot of people out there to screw people over.

Yeah, deffinetly wont be signing anything while we're over there then! Of course i'll let you know how it goes, hopefully it'll be something nice and innocent!

• Members

Find out who the guy is, who he works for and what he does before showing up at his office. It's just common sense. Here are some further words of wisdom:

People don't buy music, labels don't make money, bands don't get paid.

There are a few exceptions, but that's basically how it works. Good luck.

• Members

Of rock!

aha i know, i'd never heard of one either.

You don't need an attorney now...it doesn't work that way. You only get an attorney when your band has something going on and is offered a deal. Right now, you would look like a complete dumbass asking a legit music attorney to represent you because "some guy" wants to see your band in his office. Labels, attorneys, managers, etc, typically don't waste their time unless your band has a "buzz". Take it one small step at a time, though there is a 99.9% chance that this guys is full of {censored}. Most of them are.

• Members

I heard a similar story before but the guy worked for a label had the band come in, gave the singer a 250,000 dollar contract and fired the rest of the band haha.

That's one thing to look out for. If the contract lists your band member as individual employees of the label they can fire anyone from the band and there's nothing you can do about it.

The best way to avoid this is to register your band as a company and sign the contract so that the company is doing business with the label, not the individual band members.

• Members

Could a music director be someone who picks bands for a specific (non-record) corporation, or a specific venue?

Yeah, that's my thinking. Cruise ship, resort, something like that. Generally pay pretty good, work the hell out of you, fairly difficult environment, but lots of people say it can be a fun gig for a while.

Worth looking into, but don't commit to anything in a rush.

• Members

Yeah, that's my thinking. Cruise ship, resort, something like that. Generally pay pretty good, work the hell out of you, fairly difficult environment, but lots of people say it can be a fun gig for a while.

Worth looking into, but don't commit to anything in a rush.

On a cruise ship, be prepared for 2-3 sets a night, 7 days a week with a set list dictated by the cruise line.

Archived