Triaxis- thoughts?

estew72

• Members

I have a mark IV half stack right now. I love the sound- I have no reason to buy a Triaxis

but buying new gear is so much fun

who has experience with this preamp? what do you think?

I'm kind of infatuated (also) with the idea of having a rack EQ... racks seem kind of sexy to me

and what power amp do/have you used it with?

• Members

The Triaxis is a great preamp in some respects. It sound similar to the Mark IV however it wont do exactly what the Mark IV does and visa-versa. I used my Triaxis with with the Mesa 2:90 which allow you to remote swich the 1/2 drive, deep and modern modes on the 2:90. 1/2 drive lowers the headroom and changes the amp to a more squishy compressed feel. Deep extends the low end which you can truly feel when feeding a 4x12. The deep mode didn't work as well on open back cabs IMHO.
My issue with the Triaxis was the interaction of the controls. There is a bit of a learning curve setting the gain, treble and dynamic voice controls as I recall. You might spend more time tweeking controls as opposed to playing which is what I DON"T want to do. You most likely would not need an rack EQ with this setup as most find it is not necessary. Best modes IMHO Rhythm 1 Yellow (Mark IV Clean), Lead 1 Green (Mark I Lead), and Lead 2 yellow (Mark IIC+). In version 2.0 they had the Lead 1 Red mode which is the Recto Mode. It didn't perform as advertised for me. That's about as much as I can summarize in 2 paragraphs.

• Members
The Triaxis is a great preamp in some respects. It sound similar to the Mark IV however it wont do exactly what the Mark IV does and visa-versa. I used my Triaxis with with the Mesa 2:90 which allow you to remote swich the 1/2 drive, deep and modern modes on the 2:90. 1/2 drive lowers the headroom and changes the amp to a more squishy compressed feel. Deep extends the low end which you can truly feel when feeding a 4x12. The deep mode didn't work as well on open back cabs IMHO.

My issue with the Triaxis was the interaction of the controls. There is a bit of a learning curve setting the gain, treble and dynamic voice controls as I recall. You might spend more time tweeking controls as opposed to playing which is what I DON"T want to do. You most likely would not need an rack EQ with this setup as most find it is not necessary. Best modes IMHO Rhythm 1 Yellow (Mark IV Clean), Lead 1 Green (Mark I Lead), and Lead 2 yellow (Mark IIC+). In version 2.0 they had the Lead 1 Red mode which is the Recto Mode. It didn't perform as advertised for me. That's about as much as I can summarize in 2 paragraphs.

This kinda sums it up. :thu:

• Members

I probably will get flamed for saying this, but tone-wise the TriAxis is step down from any Mark series amp. I love the versatility but the tone is not as good IMHO. And yes I owned one for 2 years, with a 2:90. My Mark III smoked that rig every time. It's sad because I REALLY wanted to like it.

Archived