What's the name of your band??

Bryer M.

• Members

I was in a "band" in high school called The Silver Rolling Stones. (Beatles fans will apparently recall the Beatles were orginally the Silver Beatles.)

We played skiffle/jug band music that had absolutely nothing to do with the Rolling Stones and, IIRC, we only played one gig, an extremely irony drenched pep rally at my hi skool.

Actually, most of the pep rallies were irony drenched. It was the height of the Vietnam War and the "pep commisioners" were both friends of mine. One was the guy who turned me on to Captain Beefheart and much later, in early '76, the Pistols when their first singles came out.* In one such pep rally, a skit featured a beloved cartoon character (I forget which) getting drafted, sent to Vietnam, shot in the head, and returned home in a box. And, yet, somehow, we got to be league champions, anyhow. (It was the steroids. Now it can be told. Friggin' coaches had all the athletes on them. No wonder all the jocks broke out in bad acne every fall when training started.)

Anyhow... yeah... the Silver Rolling Stones.

I played maracas or something and the pep commisioner's GF of the moment, who was just about nodding off from a good slug of seconal ("reds" -- a barbiturate popular at the time) played washboard. We had a stand up bass, slapped. Some guys played guitars. We sang "Give Me That Old Time Religion" -- which really ticked off a lot of people.

Good times.

* The same guy put together another special event band to play UCLA Law School's talent show. (It was the end of the Viet war and all the commie lawyers who would soon get high paying corpo gigs were feeling a little ironic, themselves.) We had two tap dancers (with gold-sequined hammer & sickle logos on their red cheerleader type sweaters), a fire eater/sword swallower who set a fat lawbook on fire. Too many guitars, of which I was one (I started playing in college a few years before. I wasn't any good but the bar was low.) Our lead guitarist was the sound guy for the just-about-to-blow-up-big-again Fleetwood Mac and we got to use their travelling PA. The same guy became a very powerful mover and shaker in the music biz, heading up a half billion dollar startup label at its inception. (I won't say which one, but let's just say they were a little surprised when the very first artist they signed, with a contract portentially worth something like 40 million clams turned out to be very, very ill and passed before the band could do any new work. Fortunately, they bought the back catalog, too. ;) )

• Members

I've been in: Shocking Bad Mountain (my high school band), and Something Fierce.

My current band is Pink Noise. We're one of 6 or 7 bands in the world with that name (about half of which are Pink Floyd cover bands). Chose that name right before a gig and before we could do an internet search on the name. Oh well, it's what we're known as now. Other names we were going for were ZZYZX (a few bands in Cali have that name) and The Geddup Sound

• Members

I always thought "Bang" would make a great band name. Simple, short, has lots of possible meanings. Except it would be spelled !

(For those who don't know, an exclamation point is pronounced "bang" when reading aloud programming code, the same way a period is pronounced "dot.")

• Members

Rock Formation - '67 - '73

Star - '73 - '75 - Roadie mostly - A few gigs and once in the studio.

The Fallen Angel Band - '76 - '82 (not Gram Parsons - Fallen Angels)

Freerange - '01 - present

The Weak Enders - lately

If you don't have a name, here's a few:

Chuck Wagoner & The Hungry Horsemen (country)
Ahead of Let Us (pop)
The Bucking Fast Turds (punk)
Yo Mama Been Loggin' (middle east rap)

• Members

Speaking of internet "originality searches" -- I did a fair bit of looking to make sure there wasn't another one blue nine around back in the 90s when I adopted the name. But that was in the bad ol' days of searching when we though Yahoo was the bee's meow.

One of the first things I did the day I discovered Google (switching to it that day, it was so much better) was search on "one blue nine"...

... and found a band called Blue Nine... (Kind of a bluesy, 'adult alternative' band. Looks like they're gone now.)

By that time I'd already had around 8 or 10K DLs under the one blue nine name. I contacted them and sheepishly apologized for not having been able to find them (they'd been around for a couple years before).

They were cool about it but it always bothered me.

I mean... I was trying so hard to come up with a band name that hadn't been used. (Got it 2/3 right, anyhow. ;) )

• Members
Speaking of internet "originality searches" -- I did a fair bit of looking to make sure there wasn't another
one blue nine
around back in the 90s when I adopted the name. But that was in the bad ol' days of searching when we though Yahoo was the bee's meow.

One of the first things I did the day I discovered Google (switching to it that day, it was so much better) was search on "one blue nine"...

... and found a band called
Blue Nine
... (Kind of a bluesy, 'adult alternative' band. Looks like they're gone now.)

By that time I'd already had around 8 or 10K DLs under the
one blue nine
name. I contacted them and sheepishly apologized for not having been able to find them (they'd been around for a couple years before).

They were cool about it but it always bothered me.

I mean... I was trying
so hard
to come up with a band name that hadn't been used. (Got it 2/3 right, anyhow.
;)
)

In the future, all band names will be taken for fifteen minutes.

Archived