Which is better for ACOUSTIC? SS or tube amps?

myname1

• Members

I was just wondering if there are any benefits of having a tube amp for acoustic guitar versus a solid state one.

Now I know there is a HUGE difference when you play electrics and I really prefer a good tube amp. Mine is a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 50/100 2x12. GREAT electric guitar amp!

But I was wondering if they even built tube amps for acoustic guitars?

Are there any advantages or dis-advantages to having a tube amp for an acoustic guitar?

Just had been wondering about this.

Most acoustic guitar amps I have seen, seem to be solid state.

• Members

Most all acoustic players I have known used solid state amps. The sound is mostly in the acoustic and an amp is just making that larger. Not shaping the tone as much as electric guitars. Although now they have acoustic amps that can shape tone very much.

• Members

Straight to the console

Not possible in all situations, especially when you do not have a professional soundman running the sound and cannot count on him to mix you properly in the monitor!

I am in a church situation so I cannot exactly "fire" him, either.

• Members

On another board I asked this same question on, one guy said he just recorded his Taylor acoustic through an all tube Fender hot rod deville (I guess because that was the only amp he had) and he said he had feedback problems....he said he recorded his taylor with the amp volume set to ONE!

So feedback could be another reason why they do not make all tube acoustic guitar amps. If he was having trouble recording....could you imagine him trying to play his Taylor through that rig in a live situation??

• Members

yeah.. i'd think beefy output solid staters, first off, for convenience... but secondly.. just wide dynamic ranges. electrics and tubes are a great combo because there's no better compressor than a blazing tube amp-- but that's not the sound people expect out of an acoustic guitar. they expect lots of tonal variation and dynamics... so pretty much the opposite of a 'liquid lead tone'.

i've never seen a tube acoustic amp either-- but i'm not sure that 80% of the electric/acoustics would sound any better anyhow, as the whole sub-saddle pickup thing is so awful sounding, that it's pretty much turd shining anyhow to put it through a tube amp. to my ears.. a small diaphragm condensor is the only way to keeping real dynamics and tone.. but every now and again you hear something OK with a plug in..

Archived