New digitech OD pedal vs bad monkey

jlc1587

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always thought true bypass sounded more pure. Which is why a lot of people have had their bad monkeys modified. I'm a bad monkey owner too I don't know why you are totally against something and defensive on something you haven't tried. lol I love my bad monkey but this def looks like a finer pedal. Plus all the reviews can't be wrong. I'm sure maybe a few are off but judging from all the people saying they liked it better than their bad monkey i'd say theres something to it. Kinda like a modified bad monkey really.

• Members

Hardwire Tube overdrive blows the bad monkey out of the water

and a barber ltd or fulldrive blow it way way way out the water. matter-o-fact, a stock ts9 beats it. the treble range was harsh, but the bass control was nice. spend the xtra money and go for either one of those.

• Members

I've always thought true bypass sounded more pure. Which is why a lot of people have had their bad monkeys modified. I'm a bad monkey owner too I don't know why you are totally against something and defensive on something you haven't tried. lol I love my bad monkey but this def looks like a finer pedal. Plus all the reviews can't be wrong. I'm sure maybe a few are off but judging from all the people saying they liked it better than their bad monkey i'd say theres something to it. Kinda like a modified bad monkey really.

I just got riled at the blow the BM out of the water comment. Really I'm ok with liking other pedals more than the BM. Its those exaggerated comments that I find stupid. Like you said though trying with your set up will tell you for sure. That will be the true test as always. Who knows, I may end up with one too?

• Members

and a barber ltd or fulldrive blow it way way way out the water. matter-o-fact, a stock ts9 beats it. the treble range was harsh, but the bass control was nice. spend the xtra money and go for either one of those.

Here we go again. Alrighty then(Ace Ventura voice).

Stock TS9. Hell no. :cop:

• Members

Here we go again. Alrighty then(Ace Ventura voice).

Stock TS9. Hell no.
:cop:

any stock tubescreamer will kick the {censored} out of the bad monkey at gigging levels. There is no comparison. Srsly. Everybody has shot them out at low volume and found no difference, but once the volume goes up, the badmonkey goes out.

• Members

Thats a great site!!! The Bad Monkey sounds awesome comparing to TS808, Maxon OD9, and the new Digitech stuff. The BM sound fuller and warmer.

I just bought a Bad Monkey yesterday new in box for $16. Just thought I'd share.

Oh and check out this website it might help you decide:

• Members

Thats a great site!!! The Bad Monkey sounds awesome comparing to TS808, Maxon OD9, and the new Digitech stuff. The BM sound fuller and warmer.

Yeah, that's a cool website. It gives you an idea. But it's not exactly what it really sounds like up front and according to your guitar, amp, and tons of other things. But I like the site. Judging from that site the hardwire digitech OD sounded like it had a little more low end and balls. And I loves low end... When it's tight anyway! And I don't mean drop A lowend either.

• Members

:blah::blah::blah:

It's all a matter of taste, I have the BM, & Metal Zone, and both are FANTASTIC Boosts.... I also have several HBE products, Power Screamer, Doomsday Device (on its way), Detox (on its way too), Uno Mas, Dos Mas, and they are all equally as cool. but for bang for the buck, NOTHING beats a BM. I got my BM for $20, now compare that to a $200 HBE boost. I LOVE my HBE gear, but I use the BM just as much as the HBE gear, simply because it's a different tool, and gets different results than my HBE gear.

• Members

Yeah but it's true bypass which automatically usually sounds more pure.

In my experience a good buffer can sound just as good. I honestly can't tell any difference between the DSP bypass and true bypass on my Line6 M13.

I prefer the Bad Monkey to Tube Screamers not only because it's cheaper but also because it doesn't have as big a midrange boost. That way I feel it's easier to integrate with my tones because I use a pretty middy tone to begin with.

The Hardwire pedal does sound rather nice in the video, especially the last bit.

• Members

any stock tubescreamer will kick the {censored} out of the bad monkey at gigging levels. There is no comparison. Srsly. Everybody has shot them out at low volume and found no difference, but once the volume goes up, the badmonkey goes out.

I haven't heard mine go out at cranked levels. If it did I'd {censored} can it. What I really know is the BM goes with a Marshall like it was made for it. Prolly any EL34 powered amp it goes good with although I can only comment on mine.

For the price its a suprise and it does hang with costlier pedals IMO such as a Tubescreamer. In fact I can get more flavors/textures from mild to wild in front of my DSL out of the BM than a tubescreamer. :eek:

It may be a matter of proper tweaks on the BM or just tone preference. :wave: My Boosta Grande clean boost in front of the BM is a match made in heaven. It adds body to an already great tone. What a combination.

My Marshall blows me away when properly boosted. If a $50(they raised price new)pedal contributed to that happening I'm blown away!

• Members

I love how that site actually shows the settings the clips were played on. Anybody know what classic/modified switch are supposed to be voiced as? Which one is the bad monkey?

I prefer the Bad Monkey to Tube Screamers not only because it's cheaper but also because it doesn't have as big a midrange boost. That way I feel it's easier to integrate with my tones because I use a pretty middy tone to begin with.

That's a really good point about the midrange. That's probably why I prefer my BM in my setup.

• Members

+1

the bad monkey is a great deal @ its price!!!

a $100 "better" bad monkey kinda defeats the purpose. at that pricepoint i'd go with a od808/9

• Members

+1

the bad monkey is a great deal @ its price!!!

a $100 "better" bad monkey kinda defeats the purpose. at that pricepoint i'd go with a od808/9

I'd still go with the bad monkey no matter the price. Just because I love the way it sounds. Price wasn't really the factor on me buying it. But this one being true bypass and having more options attracts me. All the reviews I read said it sounds a bit thicker too. Tell Andy Timmons True bypass don't matter! lol

• Members

I'd still go with the bad monkey no matter the price. Just because I love the way it sounds. Price wasn't really the factor on me buying it. But this one being true bypass and having more options attracts me. All the reviews I read said it sounds a bit thicker too. Tell Andy Timmons True bypass don't matter! lol

I don't care about these guys liking other pedals over the BM. They are entitled to their opinion. I just won't buy into them. My ears tell me otherwise in my set up. Anyways I am interested in you trying the Hardwire overdrive. You already have a BM and like it as well. You will be able to have a constructive view of it. If you don't go all fanboyism.

What amp/guitar are you using it with cause that will tell me a lot about your experience when you get a hold of one.

It will be awhile before I can get one and my time is tight as I work graveyard and have kids to take care of. So I won't be able to try one anytime soon. :cry:

• Members

I don't care about these guys liking other pedals over the BM. They are entitled to their opinion. I just won't buy into them. My ears tell me otherwise in my set up. Anyways I am interested in you trying the Hardwire overdrive. You already have a BM and like it as well. You will be able to have a constructive view of it. If you don't go all fanboyism.

What amp/guitar are you using it with cause that will tell me a lot about your experience when you get a hold of one.

It will be awhile before I can get one and my time is tight as I work graveyard and have kids to take care of. So I won't be able to try one anytime soon.
:cry:

I will be using it with my main rig... Schecter c-1 into new od pedal into ns-2 into peavey 6505. That going into two 4x12 v30 cabs. Very basic.

• Members

I fully approve of your set up. Berry nice! Hurry up and get one.
:lol:

Probably be tomorrow, I have to drive an hour to get to a guitar center. My drummer is supposed to be riding with me to get some equipment but I'm not counting on it because I get the feeling his girlfriend won't allow him. He wasn't allowed to use the phone last night either so he skipped practice... oh yeah and he's 23 years old! {censored}

• Members

Probably be tomorrow, I have to drive an hour to get to a guitar center. My drummer is supposed to be riding with me to get some equipment but I'm not counting on it because I get the feeling his girlfriend won't allow him. He wasn't allowed to use the phone last night either so he skipped practice... oh yeah and he's 23 years old! {censored}

:thu: +1 :facepalm:

• Members

yeah If only I could find another drummer I'd be good. Sucks when a grown man has a curfew and everyone in the band is like... dude we're not even done. "Man she's making me go man." I think I'm gonna punch him... haha Off subject completely but I had to release it somewhere!

Archived