bugera 6262...

goatman

• Members

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Bugera+Amps/6262+Head/10/1

everyone reckons they're pretty good.

well, i went down to the local music store to check one out. sounds like nails on a chalk board crossed with an angle grinder. the mid knob is like more trebble and the treble knob is pretty retarted. :poke: there is no way of getting a smooth distortion - it's either like painfully trebly or muddy... and muddy still has too much highs in it. no way of getting a creamy sound. i'm after soemthing like evh smoothness. i can get that with my zoom and a 15w ebay amp. what the? those tubes would be more usefull as paperweights than inside this amp.

that's my rant, do all full tube amps sound this crap?? otherwise it's behringer digital crap for me... eeeewwww. :poke:

• Members

Not all tube amps sound like a 6262 no. If it was your first experience with a tube amp though you were likely not setting the tone right. They have to be adjusted quite differently from a 15w ebay amp or zoom modeler. I haven't really heard any Bugeras that made me want to buy one but worst than a zoom and ss 15w is a bit harsh.

• Members

edit: t-rolled - just ranting, man..

kinda loud meaning what? kinda loud meaning if i was playing in a band in a 500 seater hall i'd have sufficient on stage noise to annoy the sound guy? yea. it gets a little better as the volume goes up but what i don't get is that i wouldn't pay 300 for this crapo and aparently it's about equal to a 5150...

• Members

I thought the 333xl sounded much better than the 6262 also. I tried both before I bought. I wasn't that impressed with the 6262 and I already had a peavey 6505 which sounded better. But tube amps are different. I remember when I got my first 5150 after being used to solid state amps. I had no idea what I was doing. I thought it was just flip it on dial it in the same way as my solid state amp and go. And I remember thinking damn this thing wasn't worth it it don't sound that great. And now solid state doesn't even come close. Also you have to have your post gain up and pretty loud for tube amps like this to sound great. They sound good when the tubes are pushed.

That being said the 6262 is still a much higher quality amp and way better tone wise than a zoom and a 15 watt amp. I don't even think it could be compared. But if you do it like a solid state amp and go in there and max out your presence and your highs it's going to screech and pierce your ears and sound like crap where as on most solid state amps you can do this and it just sound normal. The mid knob isn't a treble knob the reason it sounds like that to you is because the mids come out more with tubes. You can hear the notes better and more clear with more mids. So to an unexperienced ear it might sound like the treble is up more.

• Members

ok..

i tried the 333 and what a difference! i'm apreciating tubes now! i forgot to try the speaker dampning control, what does it do?

It basically informs the small Asian man living in the cab/combo to pour a bucket of water over the speakers, thus dampening them.

• Members

ok..

i tried the 333 and what a difference! i'm apreciating tubes now! i forgot to try the speaker dampning control, what does it do?

also what would i be looking for to get creamy crunch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor

Damping is how well the amp can control the speaker. If you play a 5150, the resonance knob is from what I understand a sort of voltage feedback circuit to the powertubes (something like that, I have no idea what that actually means) But what it's actually doing is adjusting how well the amp can control the speaker. Turning hte res knob to zero on a 5150 gives you the tightest low end because it's very well-controlled, but turning it up lets the speaker woof out a little bit for lack of a better way to put it. The end result is GOBS of huge low end chug. But at the expense of how tight adn defined it is. The Triple XXX has a 3-position switch instead of a knob. I'm guessing the Bugeras have something similar.

That's what the damping switch does. You can get less, but better controlled bass, or more loosely controlled bass.

• Members

it'll take one hell of a long time to get a 'creamy crunch' out of the 66xx line. the 333 line is much better suited for that as you found out. Remember you have to push the power section to get a good tone out of the amp, but also try running an eq infront of the amp. Helps shape your tone alot.

Archived