How much better is a 1960AX cab over a 1960A?

uz3r

• Members

Do the vintage speakers really make a difference over your standard celestions? Do you think the greenbacks will go well with a 5150 and fatten it up? Or is it too much gain to notice?

I have the chance to buy a 1960AX at a pretty decent price. BUT I cant say that Im not happy with my standard 1960A cab - just pondering if I should fork out the cash or not.

Thoughts?

:wave:

• Members

I love my 1960AX, its one of my favourite pieces of gear. I used to use a 1960A, infact i have 2 1960A's but they are back up to the 1960AX.

Im not really good with description of speakers but in my experience ive found that the greenbacks have a real sweet sound. For Metal, it may tame some fizz from the 5150, i dont know if it will fatten it up. The 1960AX doesnt have as much loose low end as the 1960A but it stays tight and its more articulate. I really like the definition in palm muting with greenbacks.

My best description is: When i used my 1960A with g12t-75s i found i was competing more with the bass and bass freqs. With the 1960AX i sit in the mix much better and im much happier overall with my sound.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Same as with any other amp into those speakers I'd imagine - the greenbacks will sound more restrained and linear the 75s will sound more open and unpredictable. Both of those can look like insults or compliments depending on your preference.

My friend has a 5150 into a 1960A and it sounds very er....... I spent like 3 minutes trying to think of a word while typing this but I really don't know the word for it. The best I can explain it: The greenbacks give single string stuff more consistent saturation, where the 75s allow a bit of stylistic wobble and slack, especially on low bassy single string riffs do the 75s achieve a signature unmistakable sound. In chords, the difference is more subtle but the additional natural distortion from the lower wattage speakers "speeds up" the pulsations when the chord rings out where as the 75 is a slower churning sound.

Probably none of that made any sense. Personally I bought my 1960A new and got to try the other speaker types next to it-- its just the one I preferred relative to the way I EQ my amps.

• Members

In my limited experience, 5150s sound good through Greenbacks. (IIRC, if you're a fan of European gothic doom- My Dying Bride is 5150 through Greenbacks.) I like them through 75s too, especially turned up in a live setting. I'm not the biggest fan of either 75s or 5150s (for my high gain tone, anyway) but it's a totally usable combination if the amp's dialed in right.

Maybe it's just me, but the 75s seem to smooth out at high volumes with mid-heavy amps, too. :idk:

• Members

The 5150 cab's Sheffield 1200s are supposed to be based on Greenbacks. They're meant to be 75w greenbacks. A lot of people hate them, though.

Not exactly true. THey are based off of Eddie's old cabinets which had Celestion's and JBL's. According to some of the PV reps, Eddie liked a certain cab the most so they tried to mimic that as best as possible. Even going so far as to weaken the magnet strength like the speakers that were in his cabinets. Otherwise 1200's and Greenbacks really dont resemble each other that much, I think they have a certain crunch and sizzle in common, though.. Im actually a fan of the 1200's because they do have a certain charm to em that can sound great..

As for the OP's question. Being that I have been a 5150 user for a long time(early 90's) I have tried a lot of speakers with it. My experience is I find a LOT of speakers sound good with the amp. So it wil be up to you, of course. The Greenbacks definitely sound pretty warm with the 5150. The T75's by comparison feel more powerful in the bass.. It's a tough call, I like em both.. I also agree with "ads" when he mentioned it seems the T75's kind of fight with the bass guitar freq. more than the Greenbacks do. THe Greenbacks, while sounding warmer, fit in the mix a little better.. I think a lot of people think the T75's have a harsh high end, when they actually are a pretty big sounding speaker. but I think its becasue in a band situation or recording the big bass of the T75 tends to fight with the bass freq. too much, which makes the high end stick out a little more..

• Members

Not exactly true. THey are based off of Eddie's old cabinets which had Celestion's and JBL's. According to some of the PV reps, Eddie liked a certain cab the most so they tried to mimic that as best as possible. Even going so far as to weaken the magnet strength like the speakers that were in his cabinets. Otherwise 1200's and Greenbacks really dont resemble each other that much, I think they have a certain crunch and sizzle in common, though.. Im actually a fan of the 1200's because they do have a certain charm to em that can sound great.

Interesting! :thu:

• Members

G12-75s sound honky to my ears. I like the response from the Greenbacks when paired w/ my JMP. If I had to quantify it, I would say the Greenbacks sound 1 bajillion times better than the G12-75s. Thus, 1960AX/C or 1960BX/C are 1 bajillion times better than the 1960A or 1960B.

• Members

G12-75s sound honky to my ears. I like the response from the Greenbacks when paired w/ my JMP. If I had to quantify it, I would say the Greenbacks sound 1 bajillion times better than the G12-75s. Thus, 1960AX/C or 1960BX/C are 1 bajillion times better than the 1960A or 1960B.

Wouldn't that be 4 bajillion times better??

• Members

Not exactly true. THey are based off of Eddie's old cabinets which had Celestion's and JBL's. According to some of the PV reps, Eddie liked a certain cab the most so they tried to mimic that as best as possible. Even going so far as to weaken the magnet strength like the speakers that were in his cabinets. Otherwise 1200's and Greenbacks really dont resemble each other that much, I think they have a certain crunch and sizzle in common, though.. Im actually a fan of the 1200's because they do have a certain charm to em that can sound great..

As for the OP's question. Being that I have been a 5150 user for a long time(early 90's) I have tried a lot of speakers with it. My experience is I find a LOT of speakers sound good with the amp. So it wil be up to you, of course. The Greenbacks definitely sound pretty warm with the 5150. The T75's by comparison feel more powerful in the bass.. It's a tough call, I like em both.. I also agree with "ads" when he mentioned it seems the T75's kind of fight with the bass guitar freq. more than the Greenbacks do. THe Greenbacks, while sounding warmer, fit in the mix a little better.. I think a lot of people think the T75's have a harsh high end, when they actually are a pretty big sounding speaker. but I think its becasue in a band situation or recording the big bass of the T75 tends to fight with the bass freq. too much, which makes the high end stick out a little more..

Scooped mid frequency of the T-75 doesn't help either.(The topend)

• Members

Ended up buying the AX and just wanted to say that it sounds awesome! It sounds amazing in a full band mix, the lows are tight as hell and it cuts though everything. Great cab.

Thats how i find it man. And it looks great onstage!

congrats

How much did you get it for?

Archived