feedback please: Dollars in your Pocket

Eclepto Funk

• Members

just a little quirky song .... i'm thinking of making this (short) song the last one in my new collection, tentatively tiled Songs of Love and Bliss

i will probably do the vocals again ... though i am not sure about that

any feedback would be hugely appreciated...

do the vocals bug you? must i do them again? should I?

thanks in advance

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=720152&songID=6813288

• Members

I like it a lot - kind of reminds me of Donovan. Knowing your material, the vocals don't bug me, but someone hearing your stuff for the first time will probably notice. The horn part is pretty funky - you might try bringing that up in the mix (especially since there is nothing else holding down the bass).

• Members

As said before, the horns need to be louder. Almost equal to the singing. I also think you should take all effects off the voice. Maybe leave a little reverb, insignificant to the ear though.

That is a fun little piece. Spend a little more time with it and it will all come together.

• Members

thanks anglerfish, cripes, deveryH ... appreciate the feedback

devery, i will try the effect-less approach and see how it goes (along with the louder horns several people have mentioned)

i probably will do the vocals again. thing is, it's my experience that redoing vocals doesn't work very well for me. i basically don't get much better even after several weeks of practice (singing wise). i have a hard time controlling my voice. sometimes i can't seem to even do the same verse the same way twice.

• Members

I agree that the horns could be louder. I like the effects on the vocals myself. I don't think a retake is required. Good catchy tune...
:thu:

I just personally feel that the "feel" of this song merits no effects. I didn't mind his current effect(s), nor did it/they sound bad, I can just picture the singing with little to no effects just in this song. I could be wrong.:)

• Members

i probably will do the vocals again. thing is, it's my experience that redoing vocals doesn't work very well for me. i basically don't get much better even after several weeks of practice (singing wise). i have a hard time controlling my voice. sometimes i can't seem to even do the same verse the same way twice.

One thing I like to do to combat this is to record a scratch vocal and then sing along with it. For some reason, my "double" take is often stronger than my initial take.

• Members

It's a cool catchy little tune. I found the lyrics to be a bit darker than the overall song somehow.

After listening a few times, I can't decide about the delay effect... I think it could go either way, but your vocal take sounds ok to me. It feels almost like there's a part missing somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it. That may resolve once you get the levels up a little as suggested. Any other suggestion has already been made. Good short number.

• Members

just a little quirky song .... i'm thinking of making this (short) song the last one in my new collection, tentatively tiled Songs of Love and Bliss

i will probably do the vocals again ... though i am not sure about that

any feedback would be hugely appreciated...

do the vocals bug you? must i do them again? should I?

thanks in advance

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=720152&songID=6813288

I like the vocal. I like the guitar rhythm. I kinda like the trombone-like thangs. The lyrics are a little disjointed and I'm not sure exactly of the plotline (singer fell in love with a girl he keeps seeing in the airport and train station?) but I'm not sure that's a huge problem. I kinda don't like the thing that is probably labeled "trumpet" in the patch name (and I'd do something else or at least look for a better trumpet-like sound).

But overall, it's a quirky little charmer. And I think it'd be fine as an album closer. At least, if you do something about that bleating little trumpet thang. ;)

Archived