another try at recording

tilimo

• Members

Yep - several people said it sounds like sweet home alabama -but this one is a-g-d not d-c-g if that makes a difference. the signal chain to record was

a PRS straight into a bogner xtc with no effects - dual mics (57 & 609) into a RNP and then into a korg d3200. The guitars are blue channel panned left and the red channel panned right - the lead is the red channel.

• Members

Hey, Tim!

I wish I could say those guys are imagining the SHA thing. Whatever chords each song uses, the intro really reminded me of SHA, and when you go to the muted string riff, it just seals the deal. On top of that, the first part of the vocal melody also sounds very Sweet Home-ish.

I can't help but notice where you're located... :D

Anyhow, lots of fun stuff here, unintended echoes of another song notwithstanding!

:)

• Members

I wasn't even thinking of the Skynard similarity. But now I guess I notice it. I liked the vocal. Your voice sounds a lot like that guy who sings for Kenny Wayne Shepherd. The song hit me as more Kenny Wayne than Skynard, also. Real good recording as well!

• Members

thanks guys! The song honestly didn't feel anything remotely like SHA while I was doing it - I had a totally different vibe going on while I was holed up in the bedroom upstairs with the headphones on just rocking out all by myself.....

• Members

I think it's undeniably close to Sweet Home, but hey- that good ol' southern fried rock gets deep in the soul. It's a hard thing to get around... maybe you can't copyright a chord progression, but that's one of the rare examples of a band basically owning it anyways. Either way, it's a good tune, good recording, I liked it. I also agree that your vocal is reminiscent of Noah Hunt (sang with Kenny Wayne). You got a good thing with that.

• Members

I forgot all about posting the lyrics -here you go:

Weary Traveler

I tried to call you before heading today

but the call I made could not get through

just wanted you to hear what I had to say

Been a fool - I can't live without you

The thought of you at home just keeps me on my way

Chorus

Just a old weary traveler

done worn out my walking shoes

finally realized what matters

still holding on to me and you

It's dark and lonely walking down this old highway

the stars are out but not to bright

always had to have everything my own way

even though I new it wasn't right

The thought of you at home just keeps me on my way

Chorus

Copyright 2008 by Tim Etheridge

• Members

Real nice write...couple small thoughts...

Weary Traveler

I tried to call you before heading today (Tried calling home many times before today)

but the calls I made did not get through

just wanted you to hear what I had to say (drop just)

Been a fool - I can't live without you...2nd half is cliche...

The thought of you at home just keeps me on my way (drop just)

Chorus

It's dark and lonely walking down this old highway

the stars are out but not to bright

always had to have everything my own way (Always had everything but nothing good to say)

even though I new it wasn't right

The thought of you at home just keeps me on my way (drop just)

Chorus

You can use these or anything you like or throw the ideas out...I just thought the first line is really important and needs to be clear to pull the listner in and wanting them to continue to listen...Heading today is a little vauge...other stuff like just cleans it up a bit...it is a fill word that when dropped usually makes the write tighter...the just you use on the opening of the chorus is enough use of it...IMO

Good job on this...I like it:)...very very good rock sound..

• Members

Hey tbryson - I've noticed a couple of times that you seem to think a cliche has no place in a song for some reason

I'm no expert and only offered tips that other more experienced songwriters have shared with me...

Been a fool - I can't live without you...2nd half is cliche...

I did not say that cliches are not acceptable but I can see why you would think that is what I meant or mean...use all the cliches you want...I took the time to give you an observation of a lyric you wrote...don't be confused with that being an authoitative opinion...it is an opinion that I have heard from my looking into the craft of songwriting...try to avoid them if you can...if you can't don't worry what I think...

My reply to your lyric is an offer of an opinion and an attempt to be helpful...thats all...

I noticed you said nothing of the other ideas...is that because you liked them or think I'm a dick for trying to be helpful...do you think I should shut the f*ck up and mind my own business?...do you want any critiques from me?

I would like to know because I get the sense the lyrical crits are not well received here...I asked you for the lyrics on the first post...now I see why maybe you didn't really want to post them...not because they are not good because I think they are...but because you really don't want an opinion on them...you (correct me if I'm wrong) are interested in the musical crit...thats cool...say so and I won't bother...I'll listen only...

BTW...the song is still good and your recording real good...as are your vocals...keep up the good work!!..

• Members

tbryson - I appreciate the kind words and all of your creative suggestions - I'm still toying with several of them and a couple of other ideas I also have - I was just curious as to why you didn't like cliche's in songs, thats all - and yes, when I post a song here on the boards, I really am asking for creative input and suggestions from you guys because I do value the opinions of the seasoned veterans of the craft here on the HC forums.:thu:

• Members

thanks guys! The song honestly didn't feel anything remotely like SHA while I was doing it - I had a totally different vibe going on while I was holed up in the bedroom upstairs with the headphones on just rocking out all by myself.....

Well, now that you hopefully see the similarity, just change the tune somewhere, maybe the chorus;

it shouldn

• Members

tbryson - I appreciate the kind words and all of your creative suggestions - I'm still toying with several of them and a couple of other ideas I also have - I was just curious as to why you didn't like cliche's in songs, thats all - and yes, when I post a song here on the boards, I really am asking for creative input and suggestions from you guys because I do value the opinions of the seasoned veterans of the craft here on the HC forums.

Yeah, hey I just got a little edgy...sorry...good luck...:)

• Members

I know I should see past the recording and see the song for potential, but being honest, when I hear a song for the first time, I put a lot of stock into the singer in terms of the emotion conveyed when singing and does it sell the words and the song. It felt like there was lacking the emotion in it throughout. Song wise though, good song, thumbs up :)

Archived